Zuckerberg apologizes for Facebook's affect on teens' mental health

Notably absent from these hearings: the absolutely horrific consequences Facebook and other social media platforms have had for adults.

The MAGA movement, Qanon, Proud Boys, political divides worse than anything we’ve seen since the end of the Civil War and more are largely the result of social media’s power to drive people toward ever greater extremist views in the U.S. and elsewhere. To say nothing of literal genocidal movements abroad.

8 Likes

Rob should write a movie about the teens effected by Facebook’s affect. Zuck could be played by Ben Effleck.

Zuckerberg apologizes for Facebook’s affect on teens’ mental health

Zuckerberg should indeed apologize for his affect, but I think you want “effect” here.

2 Likes

People are praising Hawley for his “tough questioning” during this hearing, but all I saw was a bunch of bullying and playing tough for the cameras with no real interest in actually listening the witnesses’ testimony.

Any time someone tried to get a word in and actually respond, he’d immediately cut them off after like two words. I’m not saying he should have let them filibuster his time, but FFS, let them complete a thought — they are the ones testifying, not you, Josh.

If he really cared what they were saying he’d let them at least complete a sentence before tearing into them.

The sad thing is I don’t think he was asking bad questions in many cases (although his ripping into Chew just stunk of xenophobia), but he never allowed anybody to actually answer his questions.

4 Likes

Yeah, like with the rest of the far right dipshits in congress, it’s performative BS aimed at making him look tough… They don’t give two shits about problem-solving.

4 Likes

Talk is cheap. If only someone involved in the situation had 137 billion dollars to invest in solutions. Even if he sinks two or three billion into a bunker, if you’re not going to use your wealth to make the world better, how can you live with yourself with not, at the very least, rectifying and undoing the harm you caused?

2 Likes

Because people like Zuck believe it’s their right to do as they will, whatever the consequences. They believe, since they are incredibly wealthy, that they know what’s best for society, and if you hurt a few people along the way, it all works out in the end, because they are “building a better world” so we should actually be grateful to them, even if it’s objectively hurting our children right now. After all, the people who use his products are ultimately just the actual products anyway…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.