Zuckerberg coldly explains to Facebook staff they are now to be known as "Metamates"

“A story about ships and shipmates” made me immediately think of The Raft of The Medusa. Which sounds about right. Let the cannibalism commence!

6 Likes

I thought it meant that the corporate values were going to be Rum, Sodomy, and The Lash

6 Likes

Don’t make Daddy mad again :grimacing:

7 Likes

Did he become a Scientologist. Something smells fishy here. I guess the easiest way to audit someone is hoover up all their data and sift through that.

2 Likes

One of the “wonderful things” that BB and its BBS did for me was bringing Amanda Palmer to my attention.
Not my usual kind of music - maybe performance is more to the point - but stimulating and a pleasure to listen to.

5 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but it seems like the most obvious label for how things are at the company formerly known as Facebook: Meta stasis.

7 Likes

I’m assuming that he didn’t intend the first and obvious interpretation of ‘metamates’ to be ‘like inmates; but meta’ rather than the ship nonsense?

1 Like

I never understood why they (apparently voluntarily) chose ‘resources’ rather than ‘assets’ when looking for a dehumanizing financial metaphor. It’s entirely possible that choosing the term that describes things from which value is extracted, often destructively, rather than things that are useful or produce value in the course of their operations is an instance of unintended honesty on their part; but it seemed like a weird way to tip your hand without any obvious need to do so.

4 Likes

You say me tamates, I say me tamatoes… :musical_note:

1 Like

amanda palmer ap GIF

2 Likes

Since Facebook is basically cancer I would think metastasis would be a more apt sobriquet.

3 Likes

The original Metamates:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.