Amy Schumer parodies boy bands' obsession with "natural beauty"

[Permalink]

Our societyā€™s obsession? I was not even aware of this obsession.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I understand the values of ā€œweā€ here.

Have fun and do what you wish with your appearance, but itā€™s wise to remember it looks completely different in person than it does on a two-dimensional medium like a mirror, screen, or portrait.

Yeah I wonder whyā€¦ maybe because youā€™re not the target of that obsession.

waits for all the men of BoingBoing to continue to miss the point and maybe continue to wax vague poetic about ā€œremembering to be wiseā€. 'Cuz men 'splaining to women how to handle societal expectations of beauty is totally what we silly un-wise women needā€¦ (Note: That was not a wise comment @ItoKagehisa, no matter how wise you think you were beingā€¦)

I donā€™t wear makeup every day, but Iā€™m very pale and my cheeks can get very red sometimes, and also I have very, very dark under eye circles (thanks, mom!), which sometimes are so dark that I look like Iā€™ve been punched. Itā€™s ridiculous. So sometimes I wear makeup. Especially on days like today when Iā€™m getting all fancy for an important meeting/interview.

But not every day. Mostly because I am not a morning person. Like. At all. I do envy women who are really good at makeup application. I find it somewhat tedious but occasionally necessary.

6 Likes

And, when I was younger, I wore makeup about as often as I do now, which basically amounted to rarely. I was once told by two women that I should probably wear makeup if I wanted to look more professional and be taken seriously at the office. So for a while there I wore makeup basically every day. Then I was like fuck this, I hate this, I donā€™t care. Thankfully here in Vermont itā€™s not nearly as uncommon to see bare-faced women pretty much everywhere, which is nice.

2 Likes

The whole ā€œwear makeup to look more professionalā€ thing drove me crazy. I was so happy going from business to art because I didnā€™t have to live by those female dress-isms. Make-up, hose, etc.

1 Like

Fuck hose, but I do wear tights and leggings a lot, but the difference is that I have a choice and they come in fun colors and patterns!

1 Like

Pantyhose are the WOOOORST. Fortunately I live in Seattle and people would probably think it was weird if I was wearing them.

For the guys: maybe watch a ā€œnaturalā€ makeup tutorial on youtube. Itā€™s astonishing how much makeup it takes to look like youā€™re not wearing makeup. There are guys (and even women!) who think Kim Kardashianā€™s look is ā€œnatural no-makeupā€. And thereā€™s such a fine line - we get judged for wearing too much, and for not wearing enough.

Hereā€™s another example: This photo is labeled ā€œscar jo no makeupā€:

Now thatā€™s patently nonsense. Sheā€™s wearing eyeliner, eyeshadow, foundation/powder of some kind - which necessitates blush, because otherwise your cheeks have no color, and lip gloss. Possibly mascara. Possibly brow makeup. AND the photo has probably had some 'shopping as well.
Actual photo of Scarlett without makeup (although probably still wearing lip balm):

5 Likes

Iā€™m legendarily unwise. But I know that what the mirror shows me is not what I look like to others.

Personally, I donā€™t use makeup unless Iā€™m on camera, but I do have fun with my hair. Iā€™m fond of mullets and mohawks in inappropriate places, like corporate boardrooms and banksā€¦ sometimes Iā€™ll create a purposely ridiculous beard or elaborate mustachios, too.

If people donā€™t like what I look like, oh well. I suppose I will suffer the consequences, same as anybody else, and those consequences will be unique to the situation, same as anybody else. Luckily I live in a culture where eccentricity is tolerated, if not appreciated.

And like are you even picking up on the really blatant irony here? Look at your comments. Read the comments of several women in this thread. Watch the video again.

Ugh.

Amy Schumer is brilliant and hilarious and spot-on with her (American) insight about women in the US.

As the boys say

Just a little mascara and youā€™ll look female!

Although I didnā€™t know they were so obsessedā€¦

Oh my god please watch the video. Again. Over and over again. Until you get it. Thanks.

Also watch everything else Amy does. And Broad City.

Because those bitches GET. IT. In a way that you and the men Iā€™ve replied to here never, ever will.

That clearly makes you uncomfortable and defensive but I donā€™t really care.

3 Likes

Cā€™mon fellas. Donā€™t make me use the p-word!

2 Likes

Hilariously, I actually had gummy BUTTERFLIES yesterday :smile:

1 Like

Penis?

More or less correct! :wink:

2 Likes

What about Patriarchy?

Oh I know!

The priciest word I learned at Antioch:

Phallogocentrism!

1 Like

You folks know a lot of ā€œPā€ words! I am privileged to participate in such a forum!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes