Awful Song Thread!

1 Like

Is this in the right thread? Yeah. Itā€™s not up to her later stuff, at all:

But I love Toriā€¦ love her.

3 Likes

Wow. Not even on my radar in 88. I like a lot of her post 90 stuff. Was it all this cringe-worthy back then?

Do you mean all music, or just Toriā€™s early stuff? :wink:

It was just one album, it was a commercial flop, and didnā€™t really represent her voice - she never liked it, I think. This came right before Little Earthquakes, which is miles away a better album and is clearly much more Tori and much less the label. I suspect the label was trying to capitalize off stuff like the video right above (which is strangely what reminded me of Y Kant Tori Read).

3 Likes

Agreed, there was quite a bit of good music during that time period, but those werenā€™t exemplary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow technopop tori amosā€¦ thatā€™s ummm interesting.

1 Like

I knowā€¦ itā€™s soā€¦ un-Tori like.

1 Like

she really seems to umm love that piano in the video though.

She loves her piano in all her videos where she plays itā€¦ Are you unfamiliar with Tori?

1 Like

I have,(had, do I still have it? i will have to check) Under The Pink. But I honestly have never seen a video till now and never went to a show. Am I showing my age if I first thought that it was Kate Bush when I heard her on the radio?

1 Like

Oh, sheā€™s kind of big on theatrics on the pianoā€¦ Here, MTV unplugged:

You know what I wantā€¦ I want to see Tori, Kate Bush, Amanda Palmer and Regina Spektor all go on tour together. 4 ladies, one piano! But they all have to play covers of the otherā€™s songs. Iā€™d pay mad money for that show.

8 Likes

You forgot Bjork.

(Kate Bush follows, had the misfortune of getting this one stuck in my head for a few months about a decade ago.)

1 Like

No, I have a very specific idea in mind - Kate, Tori, AFP, and Regina - they all play piano, and they go on tour, play each others songs, and they have to travel place to place in a VW bug, while their one big grand piano gets carted around in some posh truck.

I have thought long and hard about this. Bjork gets her own tour. Cause Bjorkā€¦

Also, KATE SHOULD NOT BE IN THE AWFUL SONG THREAD, YOU HERETIC!!! KATE IS A GODDESS!!!

6 Likes

Ok, but I get a pass on this song, surely?

(I wonā€™t be offended if you say Iā€™m a stupid man and how can you expect me to ā€˜get itā€™ anyway.)

ETA Aw shucks

Hmā€¦

But youā€™re not a stupid manā€¦ Not in the least.

1 Like
5 Likes

FTFY, since she seems to be happiest when sandwiched between two pianos!

(A 3-way with some Stein-ways?..Iā€™ll show myself out.)

4 Likes

That also belongs in the awesome songs threadā€¦

2 Likes

Well between hearing it recently on Crayons to Perfume and @jlw posting about Get Smart today.
This is one of those that is both awful and awesome at the same time.

2 Likes

Oh internet rabbit hole how you amuse me.
More from Barbara Feldonā€¦