British invader turned

1 Like

1 Like

So would coffee be acceptable?

1 Like

My wife was all worried because the study booklet listed a ton of stuff you were supposed to know, a lot of slogging through memorizing. Then the test came and they asked her the colors of the flag. We were relieved, but in hindsight it almost seems a little patronizing. But the ceremony really was quite lovely and moving.

Congratulations!

5 Likes

I hope they didn’t accept “England.”

Well mister clickbait-linking hippy scum, welcome and congrats navigating one America’s shittiest sets of paperwork and waits :smile:

When a friend of mine became a citizen, congratulated him and told him he now has the right to gripe about foreigners ruining the country and the government isn’t doing enough for him.

Congratulations, and it’s “elevator”, not “lift”; “color”, not “colour”; and “$20, same as in town”, not “God save the Queen”.

4 Likes

"You don’t have permission to access “http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/funny-American-unicorn-flag-explosion.jpg” on this server.
"

But I know.

I know.

It is as if I had seen it anyway.

I saw it in myself before you even posted it.

1 Like

Hey, they never gave me any food before mine (four years ago). Although this is Texas, they wouldn’t feed a dang foreigner anyway.

1 Like

3 Likes

Congrats! We still have our eagle from when my wife got her US citizenship. We used to buy feeder mice at the local pet shop, but he’s grown big and strong, and now he hunts the neighborhood cats on his own!

4 Likes

Falcor’ll fix it. You need me to explain that joke?

3 Likes

That’s an easy one. Whether you hail from Chicago, Boston, Fargo, or wherever. The inevitable moment you step outside on a sixty-four-degree day and exclaim “God, it’s freezing out today!” the game will be up. You will have outed yourself as someone who grew up shoveling snow somewhere in the frozen wastes of the Midwest or Northeast, but whose blood has thinned by living in Southern California for more than nine months. You won’t be recognized as a native, but you’ll be as Californian as you’ll ever get. Native SoCal people wear the same t-shirt and huaraches in all temperatures between 55F (when they might consider socks or a hat) and 115 (when they’ll probably remove the t-shirt). But cold-weather immigrants soon lose their imperviousness to cool temperatures, and bundle up in knitted hats and parkas at embarrassingly high temperatures. At that point, they’re past the point of no return, after which return to their native climes is impossible. Like bone density loss by someone who has spent too much time on the moon.

That’s when you’ve become a Californian.

Just not a native. Which is okay. In San Diego and L.A., most people you meet aren’t natives either.

7 Likes

Does this mean that an American happy mutant has to become a Canadian to even out the Doctorow/Beschizza-Canada/Britain/USA exchange?

Also, does this mean you have to start pronouncing your name bee-shihz-uh instead of beh-schitz-uh?

2 Likes

Any weather between 45 degrees and 95 or so is “hoodie weather” (please disregard if black in a predominantly white area). Hotter than 95 and you lose the hoodie, and strip down to a T-shirt. Shorts are pretty much for 50 deg and above, below 50, jeans. Shoes are more a personal choice, but a surprising number of people wear flip flops in ridiculously inappropriate venues.

As far as “Ca Native”, you have to be born here. As far as “Californian”, as soon as you deny your motherland, and live here, that’s good enough for us (1 point plus for when you have your first double double, -1 if you call “Ralphs” “Kroeger” or say something ridiculous like you’re going to go to the “Winn-Dixie” or some crap like that).

1 Like

Congrats Rob, I became a U.S. Citizen two years back.

Sadly, one thing they don’t tell you is that if you ever decide to leave the US, you get the privilege of having to file a US tax return, both Federal & State, for the rest of your life… On foreign earned income that is already taxed. Sheesh, overreach much?

Here’s to wishing for major U.S. tax reform.

1 Like

Just in case anyone else is up for this little quiz:

Joseph A Biden II, drunk as a lord

Palestine or Catalonia, depending on one’s pronunciation.

In 1492 Wilson passed on with nothing to do.

Quesadilla, TX

[quote]Who is your U.S. Representative?"
[/quote]

Lord Asbury Clementine, high commissioner, her Majesty’s carbuncle to the lower parliamentary function

7 Likes

Hip hip hurrah! Now don’t forget to pick up your complimentary weird-ass apocalyptic snake-handling cult membership on the way out. Yes, we invented Scientology and Mormonism, but we also came up with the Church of the SubGenius, so it’s not all bad.

2 Likes

Congratulations, welcome!

one of us… one of us… one of us…

3 Likes

Congrats, sir. When I was a youngster, my father would take us to citizenship ceremonies in the Federal Courthouses once a year, to reinforce to us the promise of America.

1 Like