Cheese is the chameleon of the food world

[Permalink]

I canā€™t do sound-only podcasts, so I donā€™t know how the development of harder cheeses was covered in this story. For the record: hard cheeses are significantly easier than soft ones for a lactose-intolerant person to digest, as well as being much longer lasting without refrigeration.

The thing I want to know about cheese is this:

Have they managed to work out why so many chefs and restaurants feel the burning need to add it to dishes without announcing the fact on the menu? I realise that as someone who doesnā€™t like any form of cheese. (No, not even that sort. Please stop doing this) Iā€™m something of a minority, and Iā€™m happy just to avoid ordering it. Which I would, if you would tell me where it is so that I can do this.

rant over.

4 Likes

oh shit, people arenā€™t catering to that bizarre quirk no one else has and you didnā€™t bother telling them about!
THE FUCKING ANIMALS!

2 Likes

Assuming you donā€™t eat lizards. Otherwise the chameleon is the chameleon of the food world.

15 Likes

Itā€™s posted via soundcloud, not apple and embedded in the browser, you should be able to listen to that no problem.

Some people canā€™t do sound-only podcasts because they are deaf or hard of hearing, not because of browser issues. (Not sure if this is the case for @chgoliz but just noting the possibility.)

3 Likes

Right.
Still working on my first cup of coffee at my deskā€¦

I like to eat chameleon, but itā€™s so hard to find these days.

11 Likes

When traveling in Asia, I often find myself thinking ā€œWTF! How can you eat that? Who first saw that said ā€˜I gotta put some of that in my mouth?ā€™ā€ Then I realize: I eat cheese and STFU.

5 Likes

Tastes like chicken, doesnā€™t it?

Do you mean that lump of cheese is actually two women with body paint laying on top of each other?

6 Likes

Anyone want a thread on how to make cheese? Its only the most infuriating hobby in the world.

2 Likes

Thanks, but I canā€™t listen to info without having a visual to get clues from. Itā€™s an auditory processing issue. I watch TV with the closed captions on, despite being able to hear perfectly well, if that gives you some idea of what the issue is for me.

edited to add: thanks @Brainspore for listing one possible reason. As Iā€™ve said above, in my case my ears hear fineā€¦itā€™s my brain that doesnā€™t ā€œhearā€ so well.

2 Likes

ā€¦ I kinda do?

1 Like

One thing Iā€™ve noticed, on my occasional trip to the US, is how often cheese arrives unexpectedly on a meal I have ordered.

Unexpectedly not just because it was not mentioned in the description of the dish, but also arriving on dishes that I would not associate with cheese.

Iā€™ve often suspected some sort of Cheese Laundering operation was going on. I love cheese.

Itā€™s shredded cheese on salads that throws me every time Iā€™m in the US. I keep forgetting that itā€™s standard there.

So do I, and my fellow Americans. Weā€™re the sort who like to say ā€œThis is pretty good. Letā€™s consume it to the point that weā€™re disgusted by the sight of it.ā€

Then we execute that plan flawlessly.

5 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the standard salad where I live, in a small town in the midwest:
iceberg lettuce
1 or 2 slices of cucumber
1 or 2 cherry tomatoes
shredded cheese
huge croutons
bacon bits, or possibly Bac-O thingies
ranch dressing, or some abominably sweet ā€œvinaigretteā€ that has no vinegar taste

Itā€™s almost not a salad, and Iā€™ve given up on them. Iā€™m a huge fan of cheese, but not on salads.

Thatā€™s ā€˜cheeseā€™.

Did you know James L. Kraft was Canadian?

2 Likes