Disney developing a live-action version of Pinocchio

[Permalink]

Have they noticed that live-action versions of Pinocchio have fared poorly? Benigni’s 2002 version rates a solid zero on RT at the moment and the 1996 version is at 27%, if that’s any indication.

Hopefully this trend will come to a grinding halt, much like “Let’s make all our rides into theatrical movies!” came to an end after The Haunted Mansion.

I read the original story a few years back. I found it really crude (in the “unfinished” and “poorly constructed” meaning of the word) and bombastic.

While it left out some interesting stuff, like the cat and the fox, I think the original Disney cartoon was a vast improvement. Dark, funny, and beautiful.

I look forward to the del Toro version; I think his adaptation would be very interesting.

2 Likes

Headline says ‘live action’, while the body copy says “stop-motion.”

All the stuff I’ve seen so far (which is not much, admittedly; mostly stills and sketches and maquettes) appears to be very stylized stop-motion animation, and not anything meant to be integrated with live actors.

Reminds me in many ways of the The Nightmare Before Christmas — but the sensibility is clearly Guillermo Del Toro rather than Tim Burton.

Some of it is on the Web: a Google Image Search for “disney pinocchio del toro” finds several examples.

The story refers to two different productions: Disney live action, and del Toro stop-motion.

Argh. Right. The Del Toro version is the Henson company, not Disney.

That’ll teach me to post before my second cup of coffee. (-:

“Disney is working on live action versions of its other animated features, including Winnie the Pooh, Mulan, Dumbo, The Jungle Book, Beauty and the Beast, and Pinicchio.”

Welcome to the 21st century.

…again. Feels like a nodal point. Developing (U.S.) culture and another breaking of a classics barrier.

Isn’t the upcoming Disney-owned Marvel Studios’ Avengers: Age of Ultron basically a live-action version of Pinocchio already?

3 Likes

Well yes, but only if you consider these latest Marvel movies to be “Live Action.” It’s at a point where they have the same ratio of live-footage to CGI animation as a “Blue’s Clues” episode.

1 Like

Disney execs confirm, “We really haven’t worked out any details yet, except that it’ll be screening with a ‘Frozen’ short.”

For what it’s worth, my 3 year old daughter (and 6 year old son) loved the live action Cinderella.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.