Dogs lick toads to get high

[Permalink]

It must be a good time if they keep going back for more.

2 Likes
1 Like

Everybody’s looking for a fix nowadays.

Why, I remember back in my day dogs would chase their tails for fun. But now with these liberal values corroding the canine youth, it’s all going to hell in a handbasket, I tells ya.

1 Like

Might be like Burroughs’ Black Meat

Several Meat Eaters lay in vomit, too weak to move. (The Black Meat is like a tainted cheese, overpoweringly delicious and nauseating so that the eaters eat and vomit and eat again until they fall exhausted.)
1 Like

There’s a listicle for that:
8 animals who love to get stoned off their tiny, adorable faces
Apparently horses like the toads as well…

1 Like

I’m a bit skeptical.

The secretions of cane toad contain Bufotenin, which is psychoactive, but not in any “need to seek out” kind of way. I’ve had it in the form of the south American snuff vilca, and if prepared correctly (ie., not just licking a toad) it’s interesting, but it would be hard to characterize as pleasant (nausea, muscle tightness, racing heart beat, headache, etc.).

I tend to believe the simpler explanations: they’re dogs for fuck’s sake, and dogs like playing with toads. I’ve had dogs that just couldn’t help themselves, even if playing with those toads (normal, garden variety) make their mouths foam up like some looney-toons caricature of rabies.

So… I take that back. I’m not skeptical: I call BS,

How about them toad suckers, ain’t they clods?
Sittin’ anna suckin’ them green toady frogs.
Suckin’ them hopper toads, suckin’ them chunkers,
Suckin’ them leapy types, suckin’ them plunkers.

Look at them toad suckers, ain’t they snappy?
Suckin’ on a bog frog sure makes ‘em happy.
They’s hucker mucker toad suckers, way down south,
Stickin’ they sucky toads in they mouth.

Wanna be a toad sucker? No way to duck it;
getcha self a toad, RARE BACK and SUCK IT!

(As sung by the late E. Paul Catts around 1974 or so, provenance unknown)

3 Likes

“It just seems unbelievable that an animal will go back for a second try.”

It’s odd to me that this veterinarian doesn’t realize that humans are animals.

7 Likes

If you’ve never seen Cane Toads: An Unnatural History go watch it now. A biology teacher had us watch it on a Friday in high school and we all kind of groaned, but it ended up being one of my top 10 all time favorite documentaries. There are numerous, mesmerizingly quirky moments, such as the old man sitting in a lawn chair nearly brought to tears by the thought of watching the toads mate, or the long zoom and fade of a scientists lips making the mating call and various shots of the toads. The whole thing is up on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mvV8OT-mmE

Perhaps, but human and dog physiology are not the same (dogs can’t even have caffeine), so there may be something that gives them an edge in the getting-high-off-toads department.

2 Likes

It’s odd to me that this veterinarian doesn’t realize that humans are animals.

Yeah, even in my teenage years I was asking questions, shared them with a religious peer, I pointed out so many similarities: two lungs, two ears, one brain, one stomach, etcetera. He ran to his mom, asking for guidance: “Mom, are we animals? We’re not, are we?” Even before the question is asked, humans are special, no questions asked.

Those teenagers afraid of questions, they’re now adults afraid of questions. And with children.

1 Like

Even if they aren’t physically addicted, surely you concede they might be psychologically addicted?

The dog licks a toad, trips balls, and afterwards thinks “I liked that! I’mma do it again!”. Seeking out pleasurable experiences is just something animals ***-do-***, even if it may in fact be hazardous to their wellbeing.

Just look at all the animals that have taken up drinking and smoking throughout history (facilitated by humans, obviously, but still).

2 Likes

The cane toads are probably thinking “That’s disgusting. I mean, that’s the same tongue the dog uses to wash its ass.”

1 Like

Been seen before. See this 2006 report from NPR.

The toads have a weird history. Back in the '70s, it was rumored that hippies were sucking on or licking these toads to get high. (Not true; the human digestive system would actually neutralize the venom. You’d have to inject or smoke it to have any effect.)

I was expecting to read, “You’d think dogs would be smarter than that.”

That’s definitely possible, although I still think that the “dogs love to play with toads” explanation is simpler.

I have a B. caapi (ayahuasca) vine growing in a container as a companion plant, and I used to have a dog – a long-haired dachshund – who was passionate about eating the fallen leaves. The amount of harmala alkaloids she would have received shouldn’t have been active, but her passion often made be wonder if she wasn’t getting something out of it regardless.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.