Dr Bronner's acid-dropping, Burner CEO profiled

[Permalink]

1 Like

Ahh, the only shaving creme that I am tempted to lick off of my lips…

2 Likes

Since David took over, Dr. Bronner’s sales have soared. It’s on track to bring in $64 million in revenues this year. But in a strike against corporate greed, Bronner has capped the company’s top salaries at five times that of the lowest-paid warehouse worker.

Privately owned? No shareholder board would tolerate such coddling of the proles.

8 Likes

That was the one bit that really got my attention as well.

3 Likes

What a dude.

I’m sure he will abide.

3 Likes

Why is being a “Burner” still a thing? $380 dollar tickets, rules and restrictions, etc - this event is no longer “a temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and radical self-reliance.”. It’s a commercial venture with all the radical credibility of a shitty rave.

7 Likes

If you have any interest in Bronner’s company and family, you should most definitely check out “Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soapbox.” I believe it is on Netflix:

Bronner’s other son is the real star of the movie. He doesn’t have David’s business acumen. He’s just . . . nice. Really, really nice. Misterrogers nice.

7 Likes

And, just as an aside, they make damn fine soap! I wouldn’t trust it as a contraceptive, or use it on my teeth, but it’s a high quality product. I’ve been using it since I was a kid and loving it!

2 Likes

never been. no interest in attaining that “healthy desert glow”. sounds like you’ve gone at least once?

how much does the entire experience end up costing? i personally can’t eat or drink a ticket.

1 Like

Standard ticket this year was 380 iirc. If you’d like to prove to the bm.org that you’re low income I think it’s half that. As for total cost it depends on what you bring with you of course. Ramen and 5 gallon jugs of water are fairly cheap. I went many years ago when it was a much smaller, more open thing, and not a corporate commercial venture focused on providing 50,000 people “an experience”. I love many of the artists the event attracts, I’ll just catch their work elsewhere :grin:

2 Likes

TLDR but based on the blurb this is fantastic news! I’ve been a Dr. Bronner’s user since I was a dipshit teenager and noticed lately the snazzy waterproof labels, the new flavors, the organic ingredients and thought that the kids running the company now were just taking it down the wrong road. Only kept using it because it’s so superior to all other ways of cleaning myself (in a shower, quickly). Nice to know that while the weird religious fanatic hippie who we all loved from afar may be gone, this guy is doing it right. Bonus for planting seeds on the DEA’s lawn.

3 Likes

i will never understand why people who have decided that the event holds nothing for them are so adamant about slagging it every time it’s mentioned. doesn’t work for you? fine - but why harp on it? other people from all walks of life still go and find the intended culture and values worthwhile (and in some cases life-changing). it’s still a thing because it’s still worthwhile for many, clearly.

back on topic: the line about capping the highest salaries at 5x that of the lowest-paid worker is a brilliant idea. bravo. i wish more companies would do that. personally, i find their soap good for lots of things in a pinch, but not perfect for any one thing.

9 Likes

never been. no interest in attaining that “healthy desert glow”. sounds like you’ve gone at least once?

how much does the entire experience end up costing? i personally can’t eat or drink a ticket.

1 Like

I just see no need to use the term “Burner” to describe people. It’s a big corporate event - do we need some honorific to describe attendees of Coachella? The Super Bowl? Big Dave’s Colon Ripper Chili Cook-off?

1 Like

…on topic: i really like the idea of a company that acts in it’s own best interests as marketing. bronner’s statement about company dependence on suppliers makes sense for any business in similar circumstance. plus, i dig the fishy food cars.

1 Like

He sued the DEA and won, gets my vote for President. Also, their peppermint castille soap is completely awesome.

3 Likes

Excellent. I’ve never heard of this company before but I’ve tracked down several locations in Hong Kong that sell its products and I’ll be buying them from now on.

2 Likes

Why, how else will he be able to publically affirm his “I was into this before it was cool, but now it’s popular I’m not into it anymore” hipster street cred? :wink:

6 Likes

In fairness, that does sound like it might merit one.

2 Likes

Firstly: I’ve never been, but I am into these kinds of things.

3 or 4+ years ago when I was looking at the pictures of the event I was extremely jealous and desperate to go. Now I see pictures of it and, while it still looks pretty sweet, I am not desperate or determined to go any more.

I also agree with the “burner” title being part of the problem. Makes people come off as elitist and concerned with the badge of attendance/inclusion: two things that are supposedly the antithesis of what the event is supposed to represent.

1 Like