Excellent '80s VHS-style trailer for 'Mad Max: Fury Road'

[Read the post]

Why is it every time I see something done like this they never mess with the aspect ratio? NO TRAILER ON VHS WOULD EVER BE LETTERBOXED/WIDESCREEN. You want to do this right? Go with less of your wanna be ā€œagingā€ filters and 4:3 that thing from the get go.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s bothersome, Iā€™ll admit.
Ditto with the flecks of dust and hair- thatā€™s a film thing, not a VCR thing.

What I was really hoping for was some of the ā€œTim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!ā€ level glitches and tracking errors.

Still.

3 Likes

This was fun, but the previously-linked GoT 80s TV show intro was better.

1 Like

That animated GIF is rather distracting, and makes it challenging to watch anything else. Does the video really have all those jump cuts? I donā€™t remember 80s trailers defaulting to the sub-second jump cut all that muchā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m still waiting for a Driving Miss Daisy: Fury Road trailer.

5 Likes

I miss you cellulose acetate.

2 Likes

Apparently xeni has never seen anything on VHS. The word you were grasping for, is ā€œgrindhouseā€, not ā€œVHS-Styleā€. If it were actually VHS-Style, it would have a bit of snow, and lots of tracking error, plus some really bad pan-and-scan, (because it wouldnā€™t be letterboxed). It would NOT have faded colors or scratches, or bad splices. Thatā€™s the hallmark of a movie trailer that been around the block a few too many times, and has been run through crappy projectors, and has been broken and spliced countless times.

4 Likes

Oh, you beautiful nerds. Carry on.

(is an 80s style trailer of a 80s-inspired movie going to far?)

1 Like

If you are looking for retro VHS artefacts, this weeks Kung Fury masterpiece will probably please you muchly.

3 Likes

ā€œMasterpieceā€ undersells it.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the outrun-style music track actually works, and I love outrun/synthwave to death. It just doesnā€™t fit that well here. If youā€™re into that sort of thing, just search for all the music tagged ā€œoutrunā€ on bandcamp.com. Thatā€™s where most of it lives, and much of it is free.

Kung Fury, however, is the best 30 minutes of my life since my dad briefly gave me the keys to the familyā€™s 5.0 litre Capri in 1984.

2 Likes

Every time i read Furry Road. Iā€™m sure it will be made if it hasnā€™t alreadyā€¦

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.