Faces in weird places

[Read the post]

In general, I don’t at all like the backpack style purse, but I totally want that one. Looks like one of the door knockers in Labyrinth.

1 Like

Not exactly related, but still one of my faves…

12 Likes

So glad to learn there is a name for this! There’s a Starbucks that I used to go through the drivethrough at, and just behind it was this house with two rectangular windows and one arched window, arranged in such a way that I could not NOT see it as a face. It was a weird experience. I didn’t really like seeing a house face.

2 Likes

An oldie, but goodie! Why can’t I ever find any of these delightful hooks at the hardware store?

1 Like

(I found mine at Target.)

1 Like

I don’t see the face in the sheet on the balcony? I see what looks like a ghost wearing a hoodie, though.

3 Likes

I suppose certain brain states increase pareidolia. I see faces a lot when I’m tired or sleepy. Many a times I get startled when opening my eyes and seeing some ghastly alien mug in the folds of the blankets nearby. It’s like being punk’d by your own brain. I also see crazy, epic scenery and characters in the faint, mottled pattern of the shower curtain. I ought to take my drawing pad in there at some point.

My 5 year-old is in the same boat: We have to cover various furniture/implements in her room at night because she sees “angry/scary” faces.

1 Like

Then the door was open and the wind appeared
The candles blew then disappeared
The curtains flew then he appeared

3 Likes

Do potatoes in weird places count?

1 Like

The #8 chair in the list was actually designed to make that shadow.

1 Like

The face on the building in #14 almost certainly is intentional too.

Also, I thought the “blender” (#7) was actually more “Horrified at what it just did” than “beaming with accomplishment”

You mean that’s NOT a potato?!?!

1 Like

https://twitter.com/facesinthings is worth a follow for more pareidolia photos.

https://twitter.com/facespics

This reminds me of one time, I was coming home from a hard day at the office, and I saw my old partner’s face in the door knocker.

His face. It was not in impenetrable shadow as the other objects in the yard were, but had a dismal light about it, like a bad lobster in a dark cellar. It was not angry or ferocious, but looked at me as he used to look: with ghostly spectacles turned up on its ghostly forehead.

The hair was curiously stirred, as if by breath or hot air; and, though the eyes were wide open, they were perfectly motionless. That, and its livid colour, made it horrible; but its horror seemed to be in spite of the face and beyond its control, rather than a part or its own expression.

2 Likes

I’m thinking…Satan?

That is a native american museum in Niagara Falls. It is designed to look like a turtle. Used to drive by it all the time.

I just saw an article earlier this week about that, however, now my searches are failing me.