Genius mash-up of 6 Country hits

[Permalink]

No it’s way more then just matching up beats like a hip hop DJ dose. It’s extend passages of songs that can easily be stacked togerhter and match perfectly with minor edits. That’s nothing at all like hip hop.

I listened all the way to 1:30

Did anyone beat that?

1 Like

Nope. 1:10. Sooooo bland that stuff is, even when cleverly mixed. :mute:

I wonder if anybody who owns any of this will complain about unauthorised copying.

My dentist office lets each staff member have a day for their choice of music. Tuesday is contemporary country. I schedule my appointments for Wednesday.

You can do this with just about any genre, especially if you’re doing "way more than just matching up beats, like you correctly point out; this is employing both pitch and time shifting to further line up the tracks.

Hell, you don’t have to to even stay within one genre:

Pretty nearly every popular song

Every love song

Every song that isn’t in the first video

3 Likes

That’s the rhythm guitar and drum fills from Iggy Pop mashed with the Peggy Lee lead vocals. At two points, they overlay backup Iggy Pop vocals.

You shouldn’t point at that and say “see, mashing isn’t so hard”, because that’s two songs that aren’t really mashed together that much.

This is six songs, with rapid changes among the vocal lines. This is a lead guitar solo that sounds cohesive even though it quickly bounces between three different tracks. Then, at the end, it’s the rhythm section from all six songs, with vocals still bouncing every phrase or two.

1 Like

I will not try to impugn the technical prowess and craftsmanship that goes into any pop song on the radio; it takes a lot of expertise to make these songs. I will, however, state for the record that contemporary pop country sucks.

c.f., “turd polishing”.

Nope. Even knowing what it was going to sound like going into it, the country music shivers set in by the one minute mark and I had to bail.

I’m not saying mashups aren’t hard, just that there are a lot of conventions in pop music (just like there are in cinema, TV, etc), and it’s not that shocking that with a handy audio toolkit (allowing you to pitch and time shift, which is a lot more effort than the Passenger/Fever mash received), you can take songs that follow the same conventions and make them continuous.

BB actually did a pretty good job of clarifying this in their post (I’ve seen this video a few times, presented in a much less fair light).

As a songwriter myself, I can’t tell you how often I’ve accidentally written pieces that could have just been verses of existing songs (for me, personally, it’s always U2’s “Still haven’t found what I’m looking for”…and I’m not proud of this fact. :stuck_out_tongue: )

I have no doubt that someone could do a similar project with pop, hip hop, blues, or jazz. This video resonates because it fits well into the “modern country music is fake crap” narrative that many people (myself included) fall so easily into.

In my opinion, using tempo adjustments and pitch shifting is cheating. I prefer mashups that work with the original key. That makes mashups a lot more difficult to find a match.
One also needs access to the multitracks (Generally .ogg or .mogg files), and although they’re fairly easy to find, not every song you’d like to mash is available in multitrack format.
Various isolation techniques can work to some degree, but it’s never great, even with software like Melodyne.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.