George Zimmerman: I am a victim, a fallen soldier, Christlike

Zimmerman was portrayed as either/or/both/etc because of his German/Jewish surname & equally white-bread given name.

2 Likes

I found the original link where the journalist explains his reasoning for conducting the interview the most interest thing out of all of this.

1 Like

Mestizo is defined by a mixture of Native American and European blood, which I explained in my previous comment. The majority of South America is considered mestizo, which granted I assumed most people would know, so I admit I forgot to mention it in my last comment. Having a white name doesn’t mean a whole lot considering that “white” names aren’t exactly uncommon in South America.

Knowing these things, it is still quite curious how mestizos became “white” overnight, specifically considering that Zimmerman does not have “White Passing Privilege.”

1 Like

?? In North America he would not be defined as mestizo because of those who do know it, it is seen as derogatory, with good cause. Visible POC are referred to in the same terms as are used on the census forms generally, if they haven’t been asked what they prefer.

If a news story comes out without a picture or an indeterminate picture (slightly dark skin tone in Florida doesn’t mean much) then people draw (in ignorance) what the can from a name. No one in NA would assume George Zimmerman to be what here they would call Hispanic upon reading his name. Remember, North America.

& by “Remember, North America” I mean that many people here see it or act as though they see things as there being POC & white, despite that being a silly thing.

1 Like

In North America he would not be defined as mestizo

We of course not, they would just be considered hispanic

it is seen as derogatory, with good cause.

No it isn’t. It just means mixed heritage. There is absolutely no history of this word being used in a derogatory term here.

If a news story comes out without a picture or an indeterminate picture (slightly dark skin tone in Florida doesn’t mean much)

That is subjective at best, and this was a national story, as in heard outside of Florida

No one in NA would assume George Zimmerman to be what here they would call Hispanic upon reading his name. Remember, North America.

Yep. Pretty white name. Really Hispanic looking guy. Mestizo.

In the US he would be considered Mexican.

You were saying something about being rational?

2 Likes

It happened to the Irish too, welcome to America. Something something melting pot.

1 Like

You have provided the best explanation yet. Thank you!

I consider the following to be factual statements:

• Rob chose to neither confirm nor deny what you proposed, even though he replied directly to your post.
  • You advised us to chill, Rob taunted us with the unlikelihood of that happening.

Rational societies do not advocate murder, but managing editors of popular blogs might choose to adapt the words of fictionalized, glamorized, serial killers in ways that are sufficiently arcane as to cause confusion, and then not address that confusion when the opportunity presents itself.

1 Like

Rational people do not complain about free ice cream when they don’t like the flavor of the day. Rational people don’t tell their hosts how to host. Rational people leave parties that they’re not having fun at.

2 Likes

::golfclap::

It’s not every day someone has this many fucks to give about a tiny bit of satire.

1 Like

Good advice. Thank you.

That definitely didn’t happen over night. You have JFK to thank for that.

What’s your point? I have definitely missed it.

I think the most relevant fact about Zimmerman is that he killed someone. If you want to focus on his skin tone, that says nothing about him, me, or anyone but you.

1 Like

You see, the Irish, and other Catholic nationalities like the Italians, only became “white” because JFK proved that being Irish/Catholic/Italian doesn’t mean that you have only loyalty to the Pope by being a very charismatic person.

What you are implying is because a chubby hispanic shot a black kid, that America as a whole began to see hispanics as white. Which obviously didn’t happen. Zimmerman was portrayed as white by the media because otherwise, there would not have been a media circus.

The point is that Zimmerman shooting a black kid is not Latin America’s JFK.

No. I am not.

I am saying that every group which comes to this country, becomes white. The italians beforre the irish, the germans before them, the poles after. All white now.

Look at the president. He’s white now. Certainly not in skin tone, but white is nothing to do with skin color, truly. We’re unlikely to agree on this, and I just wanted to say that I think you’re grandstanding about your own pet theories of racial identity, which have very little to do with this case, which is about a bully killing a kid more than it is about which box the bully and the kid belong in.

The bully belongs in his cell. The kid does not belong in his casket, but there he is.

3 Likes

Well, quite.

1 Like

Good find…thanks for the link.

To be fair, it’s on the original Boing Boing page.

1 Like