GOP staffer who said Obama girls lacked class was arrested as a teen

[Permalink]

Were her ‘many hours of prayer’ to that crazy jewish dude who was a ‘judge not lest ye be judged’?

23 Likes

Also, all this stuff over here:

4 Likes

She was arrested, not convicted, and she was under the age of 18 at the time. Charges were dismissed (though apparently the records were not sealed, or if they were, not very well). Point is, seems like this post is unnecessary smearing at this point to talk about someone’s alleged crimes when they were a minor and for which they weren’t convicted.

When we criticize someone for shaming someone else by shaming them, are we any better than they are? Or, in the immortal words of Mark Knopfler “When you point your finger…you have three more fingers pointing back at you”

10 Likes

And the event during which the Obama children were showing insufficient “class”? The presidential turkey pardon. Apparently such a somber, important official event demands longer skirts.
Yeah, stay classy GOP, stay classy.

20 Likes

I think you underestimate the depth of hypocrisy that the average political “conservative” is capable of plumbing, Mark.

17 Likes

Good job showing yourself to be no better than her, BoingBoing.

1 Like

Ah, but you see, she’s not like “those people”. You know, those types. FROWNERS.

1 Like

Yes, pointing out someone was hypocritical in their condemnation of other people for imagined faults is exactly as bad as hypocritically condemning other people for imagined faults in the first place. Because both involve saying someone did something wrong, and context doesn’t exist. :unamused:

29 Likes

Let us not forget this fine example presidential daughter classiness.

4 Likes

Good job showing yourself to be no better than her, BoingBoing.

When we criticize someone for shaming someone else by shaming them, are we any better than they are? Or, in the immortal words of Mark Knopfler “When you point your finger…you have three more fingers pointing back at you”

The difference here? We’re judging her for her classlessness at what she said, not what she actually did.

12 Likes

Shit, I’m not sure I know any women who weren’t nicked for hoisting makeup or somesuch in their early teens. Rite of passage. My daughter got shamefacedly dragged home by the police, and so did her mother, and her aunts. BB straw poll? Come one ladies, fess up :smiley:

5 Likes

Uh, she and you are the only one ones talking about ‘‘better than’’ and passing such judgements. Property crime by white teens is not something that is judged harshly in America. Be the change.

You don’t have to criticize the former communications director, and by all means do not. You seem to be finger pointing about other peoples pointing fingers wrong when they point fingers about finger pointing (yo dawg).

tl;dr - In the immortal words of Jeff Lynne “you made the wine now you drink the cup”.

16 Likes

This is one too many layers of recursion for me. I’m gonna throw an out-of-memory error now :wink:

15 Likes

I’m not sure saying “oh God, I #^+%ed up” over and over again counts as hours of prayer…

18 Likes

In support of your comment. I’d like to introduce the readers to the idea of Ad Hominem. Smearing people on either side seems petty and unimportant. I hope BoingBoing will post articles that are more significant and that will encourage discussion.

2 Likes

Most of us are very familiar with the idea of ad hominem, the fallacy of arguing that because someone is a bad person, they must be incorrect. It’s not the same as pointing out that someone who was incorrect was also being horrible about it. Here Lauten was obviously both, and the hypocrisy adds to the second.

And smearing people on either side of what, the divide between Obama’s daughters who showed up to an event in normal clothing and a cruel staffer who decided slut-shaming them was a great way to try and smear the president? Do you know the fallacy of argument to moderation?

25 Likes

Any chance she stole some cigars? Please, let it be cigars.

9 Likes

Who points fingers is utterly irrelevant. The point is that for a white girl to steal is nothing shameful - it’s a rite of passage. For a black girl to wear the wrong skirt is slutty. What part of this is confusing?

29 Likes

Frauenfelder 's post is currently using the word fauxpology for this:

“Please know that these judgmental feelings truly have no pace in my
heart. Furthermore, I’d like to apologize to all of those who I have
hurt and offended with my words, and pledge to learn and grow (and I
assure you I have) from this experience.”

What exactly would need to be added to make it a real apology?
In my book a fauxpology is “I’m sorry you were offended”,
while a real apology has three main parts:

1. Specifies the mistakes that were made.
  2. Takes ownership.
  3. Declares that it won’t happen again.
    Seems to me she hit all three.
2 Likes