Guy films himself dropping fake drugs in women's drink

[Read the post]

“I just wanna show how easy it is to drug a girl.”

I wonder if Joey Salads refers to himself as a boy.

14 Likes

I eagerly await his public service video showing how easy it is to get away with rape in a society that concentrates on “teaching” women all the things they should do to avoid being raped and skips over the little detail about teaching men (*) not to rape.

((*) Yes, yes, not-all-men-rape and some-women-rape and blah deflect blah derail blah blah whatever.)

20 Likes

That’s a really great way to get mauled by a bouncer, waitress, or observant bystander. I know if I saw some douchebro doing that, I wouldn’t stop to look for a camera - I’d dial 911 & tell them to send a squad car and an ambulance.

14 Likes

What a creepy man.

6 Likes

Had this video been a discussion of proper form for witnesses to dive-tackle a seated asshole without hurting themselves or his victim, it might have been worthwhile.

8 Likes

If that drink was a computer, his act would be a felony.

5 Likes

“Hey rapists! Check out how easy it is to set up girls to be raped! You’re welcome!”

13 Likes

Christ, what an asshole. #VictimBlaming

5 Likes

And how many people are going to use this video as a way to tell women to stop going out and having drinks in public spaces? What am I supposed to do? Not enjoy my life in a way that most men can do with ease? How nice.

10 Likes

I get the vibe that most of it is somewhat staged, too. If I’m in a bar and some stranger is sitting/standing so close he’s breathing down my neck, I keep my glass closer; I certainly dont push it closer to them.

It’s not as much because I’m scared of roofies as I really don’t want talk-spittle, dandruff or whatever stranger-debris falling into it.

10 Likes

Not-dressing provocatively is not a reasonable defense measure against rape. Keeping an eye on your drink is.

hey joey salad, see how easy it is to hit someone on the head with a bat when they aren’t looking…don’t worry we were just experimenting, i’ll pay for a new hat. this kind of backwards logic defies reason.

2 Likes

I’m bewildered by the outrage expressed towards this video. Here’s the message he was trying to convey:

As you can tell by this experiment, it is pretty easy to drug a girl. Always hold on to your drink, put a lid on it, or just never let your drink out of your sight. I'm Joey Salads, and be safe!

How is this victim-blaming? It’s a poorly-produced safety PSA. He’s encouraging prevention strategies.

As for this sentiment:

I eagerly await his public service video showing how easy it is to get away with rape in a society that concentrates on "teaching" women all the things they should do to avoid being raped and skips over the little detail about teaching men (*) not to rape.

A society where the mere idea of rape is repulsive and awful to literally every single citizen sounds awesome and way better than what we have now. But we’re not even close to there yet. And you’re upset that some dude on the internet is trying to educate women on self-protection and mitigating harm because… women shouldn’t have to even consider using these strategies?

I mean, I think I see what you’re saying. If we teach women to cover their drinks, maybe that will send the message to potential rapists that their acts are justified, right? “If you didn’t want to be raped you shouldn’t have left your drink in the open!” But we know that’s bullshit because there is never a good justification for rape. That’s the message potential rapists need to understand. The message isn’t “Rape isn’t okay when you drug someone’s drink,” the message is “Rape is never okay under any circumstances, period.” That’s what I think we should be teaching.

Your viewpoint isn’t progressive, it’s security through obscurity. It’s going to get people hurt. You can’t just put the blinders on and get outraged when you smack into reality. If we want to build a better world, we have to teach men not to rape and we need to help women protect themselves in the meantime.

3 Likes

If we want to build a better world, we have to teach men not to rape and we need to help women protect themselves in the meantime.

So why is such a HUGE percentage of the PSAs focus on the latter, while it’s actually difficult to find the former? Where’s the Joey Salads video addressed to potentially predatory men? That imbalance amounts to a broad victim-blaming context, to which Joey Salads is contributing. His message is also condescending; do you really think women don’t already know they should be careful with their drinks?

1 Like

I can only assume he edited out all the following seconds when the drink was poured into his lap.

2 Likes

A “Don’t Rape” PSA would be pretty short, wouldn’t it? I mean, it’s a very simple lesson.

https://metaspasm.org/misc/football.mov

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve seen that and it’s cute. But (as I imagine you’d agree) it’s fucked up how most of the messages aimed at men instead of women are humorous, while those aimed at women are usually dead serious. “Boys will be boys” all over again?

3 Likes

exactly this.

the irony is this is one of the few places were the education is almost always reversed like this.

it is really easy to attack anyone in an almost unlimited number of ways, but obviously we almost never focus on the impossibility of protecting yourself from an infinite number of possible attacks but rather almost exclusively on educating people not to attack and the consequences, except with rape.

This isn’t the main issue people have with this video though, it isn’t like this was a purely educational video with actors and explanations of strategies to minimize risk. This was some creeper actually slipping something into people’s drinks then telling them off for not better protecting themselves. actual creepy behavior, actual victim blaming, very little education. imho.

3 Likes

Obviously?

Do you see more educational materials telling kidnappers not to kidnap, or towards parents and children telling them walk with a buddy, don’t get in a van with a stranger? Towards car thieves, or towards car owners telling them don’t leave anything visible in a parked car, get a LoJack installed? Towards burglars, or touting security systems to homeowners?

The main reason there appears to be more education directed at potential victims isn’t so much because society thinks “dumb victims deserved it” (although that is undeniably a factor) as the perception that if someone is off the rails enough to kidnap, steal, murder, rape, they’re not likely to be swayed by informative pamphlets and PSAs. (Which, by the way, also include things like COPS and Wildest Police Chases and MacGruff the Crime Dog billboards propagandizing the message that criminals are stupid and always get caught. And that message is everywhere.)

1 Like