How to talk to your child about Elon Musk

[Read the post]

1 Like

Tell your child that if your parents had named you Zambor Dweemoflux…

I named all my kids Zambor Dweemoflux.

Still waiting for the big payoff.

8 Likes

Well its not zaphod so vice president of the galaxy?

The gambit worked out pretty well for this guy.

3 Likes

Is one way of quoting not good enough?

Bet he never caught a muskie.

1 Like

I raced to check my bank balance after reading that, but no such luck.

Not that you know my name, I guess, but it’s a lot weirder than any of my internet tags.

1 Like

And then you get idiots like Farrokh Bulsara, Krishna Pandit Bhanji, Georgios Panayiotou and Jonathan Leibowitz who blew their chances of greatness by choosing more prosaic Anglo-sounding names.

8 Likes

After reading your comment:

3 Likes

Except of course Sepp Blätter is pretty much as common a name as you can get short of being called Eva Braun. Sepp is a common abbreviation in southern German speaking regions for Josef, which of course is pretty common Sepp – Wikipedia.

Go to any rural places in the Alpine region and 50% of the male population is called Sepp. Similarly nothing special about Blätter, but of course there is nothing special about the man either. Unless you count low level con-artistry as an achievement. In which case convincing the English speaking world that your name is special is just another proof of your skills.

4 Likes

Whereas my real name is positively Dickensian, and I’m as poor as a really poor thing.

1 Like

I think I’ll file a patent for investment and skim some of that sweet VC cash I keep hearing about.

1 Like

Ducumberlo! I had no idea my insane brother also frequented boingboing!

Isn’t he South African? Isn’t that why he’s got a funky name?

Shhhhh…    

I you’re talking to your children you’re already on the downward spiral to wrecked cars teen pregnancy and head lice

1 Like

The one thing on my dads bucket list he was never able to accomplish…not for lack of trying. RIP dad.

1 Like

I don’t think someone’s name contributes as much to them becoming a billionaire as are their intelligence, their lack of empathy and them, in general, being a sociopath.

1 Like

It’s easy to dislike Musk.
It’s less easy to build a spaceship.

1 Like

I used to dislike Elon Musk for him reportedly writing that the child’s birth of one of his employees was “no excuse [for not showing up at a company meeting],” adding, “you need to figure out where your priorities are.”

Fortunately, Musk denied that he ever said that. http://time.com/3855222/elon-musk-parent-employee-missed-meeting/

As of now, I don’t have any negative opinion of him, since, generally, I don’t read gossip media. But I still hold on to the idea that, on average, billionaires are intelligent, sociopaths and lack empathy.