Mom jeans back in

Slow down there, according to most statistics, I’m a smidge under average height for Usian women. I just have a long inseam for someone my height, and monkey arms to match. If you ever wondered who they make those shirts with extra long sleeves for, it would be me.

As a chubby woman, modest of stature, I find y’all’s allegiance to particular waist-lengths adorable. What I look for in a pair of jeans: That they cover my ass and zip up without having giant baggy clown-pants legs. Oh, and that they don’t cost $100 because WUT.

2 Likes

From your lips to jean manufacturer’s ears…

1 Like

“irony as a lifestyle choice is over.”

Sorry to disappoint, but I reject that viewpoint. The notion that styles come and go in cycles and phases should surprise nobody, and a lack of irony in this particular cycle of a particular product type is no comment on whether ironic lifestyles are popular or tenable.

• Proud ironist
2 Likes

It’s like looking at a somewhat more attractive version of Urkel.

1 Like

It’s so ironic that “irony as a lifestyle choice is over.”

3 Likes

It’s a hell of a catch, that catch 22.

I had to look up normcore. You kids and your crazy fads!

2 Likes

It’s like we can’t ever get a happy middle. For 10 years, I had to forego jeans completely because the only choice was between ‘low-rise’, ‘super low-rise’ and ‘actually below your mons pubis-rise’. I don’t want pants up to my sternum but I don’t like having half my crack pop out whenever I need to sit or bend. Many women didn’t seem to mind though, judging by how it seemed they would buy thongs to purposefully add a pop of colour to the crack-flash. IMO, if I can feel wind on my ass while wearing pants, it means the pants aren’t doing their job.

14 Likes

As soon as I read “mom jeans back in” I thought yeah, not surprising, you can practically set your watch to the recycling of fashion trends.

4 Likes

Remember when ‘plumber’s crack’ was a derogatory term? Whoops, I’m showing my age.

We are free to wear what we want. But we are not free from the consequences. The consequence, in this instance, being that you look like you’re wearing a diaper underneath those things and just took a big ol’ dump.

I’m not familiar with the term “mom jeans”, I just know that my mom, back in the '80s, wore them simply because they were comfortable to actually work in. Function over form.

And they’ll never look ridiculous as any male, regardless of shape, wearing skinny jeans.

Yes, except it was “builder’s cleavage” for me.

Woh, great! What about shoulder pads? The outfit can’t be complete without them.

1 Like

Many moons ago, back when I was a wee scamper of a teenager, I worked at a Levi’s store. At that time, the big trend was 501 jeans - you remember, the ones that button. I even have a photo of a giant poster in my dorm room of one of their ads. I’m guess I’m got that from my old job, but I’m also guess I thought it was badass.

Those were some hot jeans, comfy too. But I’d be all in if those came back in a big way.

But you can take your pleated old Guess style baggy jeans and stick them where the sun don’t shine.

To be fair, skinny jeans look terrible on every person. Although, I agree that they’re slightly more terrible on males due to larger feet and that loaded diaper look that butt-less young men end up with.

3 Likes

When I was a tween, Guess were all the rage. I do not recall those jeans ever featuring pleats.