"Monster worm" found in Vietnam

[Permalink]

Nessie?

I’ll take “dead whale”, with a side bet on “viral marketing for a new videogame”.

17 Likes

Excellent! My complete lack of rhythm is now a valuable adaptive-fitness-enhancing feature!

7 Likes

if you walk without rhythm, huh, you’ll never learn

3 Likes

Yeah, its a dead whale you can see the blowhole at the beginning. Beware the wrath of the outsider.

Its a juvenile blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus). The positioning of the dorsal fin, the pectoral fins and the baleen underneath the jaw pretty much confirms it.

9 Likes

The question is “how did a whale tunnel so far inland?”

15 Likes

Sinkholes and soil liquefaction would be my guess. Also, fracking.

3 Likes

The article doesn’t even mention the bowl of petunias found next to it.

45 Likes

McDonalds

1 Like

Oh no, not again…

14 Likes

at least they didn’t try to remove it with dynamite

6 Likes

It is McRib season again, is it not? People go CRAZY over those things…

1 Like

Why would authorities drag a whale inland and tell people it was a giant worm? I don’t see how it could be anything but a whale.

Indeed a whale, but a worm whale.

1 Like

Quantum tunneling. As that relies on the wave/particle duality, it is usually not seen in objects of nearly that mass (with the largest laboratory demonstrations being carbon fullerenes, and photons being the usual victims); but aquatic mammals are atypically adept at expressing wave behavior.

The math is pretty ugly; but I assure you that the physics are sound*

9 Likes

So long and thanks for all the fish?

3 Likes

I don’t see much reason to conclude that it’s actually “inland.” The tires of the trailer appear to be partially submerged in water; if the cameraman turned around, I suspect we’d see the ocean.

2 Likes