Republican Congressman threatens to kill reporter after State of the Union

no. stop that.

ā€œLighten up, Francis.ā€

3 Likes

I hate to say it, but it is true that treason is very carefully defined in the Constitution and doesnā€™t include threats to the fourth estate. Everything else you said is true, of course, so maybe use a different word to convey the outrageous behavior: un-American springs to mind, as does violent felon.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
2 Likes

I fear for my own reputation to contradict you, cowicide, since I know you know your ass from a hole in the ground unlike most of us,

But thereā€™s a pretty strict set of definitions set up through both the constitution and legal precedent for treason. In all of these definitions, the common thread is that itā€™s an American citizen or ā€œone who owes their allegiance to the United States of Americaā€ who aids another country in waging war on the US.

Using the commonly understood definition of treachery, I absolutely agree with you that this Grimm fucker is a fucking traitor to the ideals and values of the American people, heā€™s not a traitor in a strictly legal sense, nor is he a traitor according to the spirit of the law. Heā€™s acting in a way that is detrimental to Americaā€™s core values, but heā€™s not doing so in an attempt to aid our national enemiesā€¦ If anything heā€™s doing it in an attempt to aid himself as a private citizen of America.

Although we can certainly delve into the philosophical and metaphysical and semantic consequences of his actions. He could be a traitor in a strictly defined sense if we decide that essentially ā€œthose who would choose to profit at the unnecessary expense of all Americansā€ (or something like that) are enemies of the state.

Unfortunately that definition fits basically all of congress and a large portion of the executive and judicial branches.

5 Likes

Yeahā€¦Charming all the way to the gun shop where I buy a Raging Judge to feel like I have a chance in a face to face confrontation.

if it can be said, as it often is, by the tea party cohort, of which this rep. is a member, that protestors against war and for peace are giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

I think its absolutely fair to say that making a threat against the press while in the capital building is equivalent to standing outside and holding a banner, in terms of proximity to treason.

edited: typo

2 Likes

So would I. But the odds that outrageous comments by a left-wing Democrat are ever going to get posted here at BB are pretty small.

1 Like

Itā€™s not equivalent.

Thereā€™s an exceedingly slim chance that someone will die because someone held a banner in protest out front of the capital building.

Thereā€™s a significantly higher chance of someone dying when threatened with death by someone who has been trained and paid to be a professional killer (Yes thatā€™s what a soldier is, a trained professional killer. Thatā€™s exactly what basic training is for). They have means and wherewithal to do what it takes to kill people whenever the correct conditions are met. And military training is designed to make those conditions much broader than what a public citizen expects in daily life.

I donā€™t mean to rag on our veterans. They have sacrificed too much in my opinion. But lest we forget what warfighting is, weā€™re doomed to ignore the consequences of bringing it home and not giving our fighting men and women the proper treatment they need and deserve to normalize themselves once again into society. (my own brother has spent years quite literally isolating himself from people since he came back from his third consecutive tour of duty. Heā€™d rather not see or speak to anyone than risk hurting innocent civilians after what he witnessed and did in Iraq and Afghanistan.)

TL;DR, this guy shouldnā€™t be in congress. If he has these anger issues he belongs in therapy. And while our veterans need to be cared for, this is behavior that warrants jailing until his trial for threatened homicide.

4 Likes

accusations of treason are fun and all, but Iā€™m pretty sure I saw a person assaulting another person on camera. Iā€™m pretty sure assault is a crime in most places.
EDIT: I wonderā€¦ would the reporter be complicit in the abuses from this thug if he does not press assault charges against Grimms?

3 Likes

the odds that outrageous comments by a left-wing Democrat are ever going to get posted here at BB are pretty small.

Reasons for this:
-There are few to no ā€œleft-wing Democratsā€ in the US - all of ours are pretty much squarely center-right
-A left-wing Democrat would genuinely be ideologically less likely to engage in thuggish bullying than a Tea-Partier whose ideology more or less necessitates it

19 Likes

Heā€™s an ex-Marine and ex-FBI. It sounds to me like he hasnā€™t handled the transition to civilian life all that well; he still reverts to threats of physical violence at the drop of a hat.

3 Likes

The reporter looks like he needs to lay off the hookers and blow.

Mustā€™ve been tired when you wrote that? Your diversionary potshots from the conservative side are usually more subtle than that.

7 Likes
I fear for my own reputation to contradict you, cowicide, since I know you know your ass from a hole in the ground unlike most of us

Using the commonly understood definition of treachery, I absolutely agree with you that this Grimm fucker is a fucking traitor to the ideals and values of the American people, heā€™s not a traitor in a strictly legal sense, nor is he a traitor according to the spirit of the law. Heā€™s acting in a way that is detrimental to Americaā€™s core values, but heā€™s not doing so in an attempt to aid our national enemiesā€¦ If anything heā€™s doing it in an attempt to aid himself as a private citizen of America.

I agree! I donā€™t think he could literally be tried for treason, but I do think he performed a treasonous act against the core values of the American people. You just donā€™t screw with journalists like that. Not here in the USA. Not here.

We Americans need to vociferously protect our journalists like our very lives depend upon it, because our lives really do depend on an adversarial fourth estate. Once that check and balance goes, the dark road to opaque despotism is only around the corner beyond our collective blindspots.

4 Likes

In theory, heā€™s subject to censure. In practice, the GOP controls the House.

Since you agree with the assertion that itā€™s not literally treasonous, by the legal definition, your earlier angry and contemptuous response is puzzling. Simonizeā€™s objection was fully as correct as LDoBeā€™s. Maybe you can tone down the rhetoric a tad?

Itā€™s not equivalent in law. It is absolutely equivalent in rhetoric. All the talk of treason is malarkey, as is what came out of that Congresspersons deepest darkest place.

Yes Cow, when responding to overheated rhetoric about overblown rhetoric, mind your rhetoric, or else you caused the whole thing. Lol.

5 Likes

Are you pals or something? There was nothing overheated about simonizeā€™s criticism.

1 Like

Simonize can defend his/her own intent, thanks!

1 Like

Where Cowicide requires your cheerleading? I fear Iā€™ve stumbled into something personal.