Skeletons in space-suits

[Permalink]

That’s the best photo of the The Final Frontier cover you can get? For shame!

Up the Irons!

Obligatory: Hey! Who turned out the lights?!

4 Likes

That was an awesome Dr. Who episode.

1 Like

I wanted to make sure the James P. Hogan novel INHERIT THE STARS was represented, and it is.
James P. Hogan, Inherit the Stars

I’ve always wondered though ---- is this a realistic scenario?

If an astronaut died in his suit like this on the Moon, even if his suit wasn’t breached, he presumably died when he ran out of air — is whatever bacteria is in/on his body really going to consume him down to the skeleton?

2 Likes

If it did, it wouldn’t even be able to dessicate–all the water in his body would stay trapped in the suit.

The moral is, if you see a sealed spacesuit with a skull behind the faceplate, you know that everything from the neck down is going to be filled with flesh slurry straight out of the Devil’s own soup bowl.

6 Likes

I had that book as a teenager… and if I remember right it caused an all night nerd/geek discussion over that very question. No definitive conclusions were reached.

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for this! I was able to track down the book cover and original artist for an awesome painting I found a thrift store a few years ago!

1 Like

There was also Robot Monster, who was really just a guy in a gorilla suit and space helmet but was depicted with a skeleton face in the movie poster so he’d look marginally scarier.

That was actually my Halloween costume last year.

3 Likes

See Corpse Droid on this page http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/PROXY

Aw, someone beat me to it:

I wanted to see that movie so bad when I was a kid, just based on the poster alone, but I think I hadn’t worked up the gumption to sneak into R-rated movies yet.

Two men and a woman circle the globe in a satellite armed with a nuclear device. The third world war breaks out, and a few months later the satellite crashes. They survive the crash but one man gets killed by survivors and the other man gets caught. The woman stays by the remains of the the satellite but is soon caught by evil punks who have taken power.

And now I know what I’m watching this weekend.

Dia de los Robotos

1 Like

I can think of one more movie that featured the old skull-inna-spacesuit, but I’m going to have to google:

Ah, here we go. “Riders to the Stars.”

So did I,
SPOILERS

Every week I saw this movie in the video store with that great cover art. I watched it just last week after all these years, lets say that the space scenes are pretty cool in an 80s fear of nuclear war way but then it has cannibalism, a frat boy who becomes lord of the flies, a rapist who becomes one of the good guys along with the girl he was serial raping, and a road warrior converted bulldozer. Does not live up to the cover art IMHO.

4 Likes

The Defcon 4 poster is a rip-off of this Angus McKie cover (5 years earlier):

1 Like

Wow - total rip of - though they executed it better on the Defcon poster.

1 Like

Nothing lasts forever, depending on the age of the body and the conditions it’s in the suit would, eventually, develop a leak. That would start desiccating things.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.