Star Wars Tree Sweater

[Permalink]

So do they have to knit it onto the tree, or is it just really stretchy and goes over the canopy?

1 Like

Most likely flat and stitched up the side. And I suspect knitted with a machine. But I may be projecting because I want a knitting machine…

1 Like

every time i see a cool tree sweater i think “that would be a whole blanket for a homeless person or 50 sets of gloves”. luckily iowa city also has a “giving tree” where people have hung clothes pins form branches with hats and gloves and such for those who need them to take.

1 Like

This was knit by by wife, and by hand. It’s a flat panel, which is wrapped around the tree, and then the two sides are stitched together. It’s part of a public art project that’s done every year - they’re called “tree huggers” - rather than an unsanctioned yarn bombing. This one and the one next to it, in front of Prairie Lights, are hers. She had a Super Mario Bros. themed tree hugger last year that was also pretty well received.

Also, these are donated to charities after the art event is over. I believe last year they were taken down, cleaned, and sewn together to be given to the local hospice service as blankets for residents.

5 Likes

Thanks for the info and congrats to your wife for being part of such an excellent project.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.