Texas warlord seeks letter of marque

[Read the post]

1 Like

Like a small volunteer fire department where one guy donates an old firetruck, except with artillery.

10 Likes

It’s the weirdest mixture of fearing the government and worshipping the military.

As if the military isn’t the instrument of the government.

21 Likes

The really odd thing about that is, once they are an authorized militia, wouldn’t they then come under the control of the government? Militias don’t act independently of government.

2 Likes

At least Hiroo Onoda was actually a soldier in a real war. Like so many other militia enthusiasts, this guy seems like a holdout in a war that he’s still waiting to begin.

6 Likes

Militia is technically a military force, yes. But the crux is not on if it has weapons, but on whom it obeys. When the link is to the government, via strict chain of command, yes, the given force is the instrument of the government. When the link is to local people, with only very weak ties to the government, the situation significantly differs.

All depends on if you can disobey.

3 Likes

It was tough enough getting past the grade-school-level cut-and-paste job on their emblem.

2 Likes

The white background behind the lettering and the undoubtedly intentional choice to write “Golden” as “GOLDEN” are deeply symbolic and laden with meaning, surely.

5 Likes

I think they are sending a clear message to kidnappers that they too know how to write ransom notes.

NO ONE IS SAFE UNLESS EVERYONE IS SAFE!

3 Likes

I thought that it was just more sloppy work until you pointed it out. Probably some weird, cryptic biblical thing or pseudo-legal finger crossing ("this is what we really mean).

1 Like

Some people wish the government to be the instrument of the military. Given that the military exemplifies such characteristics as honor, duty, valor, and so and so forth, can we blame them for cutting out those more decadent, less virtuous components of society?

1 Like

Suddenly I’m curious about what a “well regulated milita” looks like. there must have been a process in place to regulate them at some point, and it must have fell out of use, otherwise I’dhave been in the chidrens auxiliary instead of the Boy Scouts.

1 Like

“Golden Triangle”? Um, that sounds like they’re more into one of the fringe sexual fetishes than upholding the rule-of-laws-we-approve-of

4 Likes

If you mean in the modern day, you can look up the Texas Militia. They are a state organization (not under the control of the Federal military, as National Guards are) and it looks like they mostly exist to supplement the Nation Guard in times of natural disaster. They were recently in the news because the conspiracy-minded governor of Texas wanted to use them to spy on the Jade Helm 15 special forces exercise to make sure it wasn’t a front for a military take over of the state.

4 Likes

It’s a bit difficult to hear the lyrics but this song came to mind:

1 Like

My theory is that whatever this attitude is(I don’t have a good term for it) is basically like protestantism; but for ‘State’ rather than ‘Church’:

Essentially, their faith in state power(both in symbolic forms of flags and pseudohistorical drivel of national greatness; and in concrete forms of burly guys in BDUs laying down the firepower) is such that they seek to purify the fallen, corrupt, state-as-it-actually-exists; so that the state-that-is-true-state may be restored and be worthy of wielding all that glorious power in the battle against Them for the preservation of Us and all we hold dear.

This is what makes them different from assorted other types of anti-government or government reforming types. Just as protestants broke with catholics not out of atheism or secularism; but because christianity was far too important to be done incorrectly; these guys oppose the government not because they are against state power; but because state power, and its vigorous exercise, are so good that a state worthy of wielding and exercising power must be created.

6 Likes

The “Golden Triangle” refers to Beaumont, Orange & Port Arthur area of SE Texas. Golden because of the riches from Spindle Top back in the early 1900s East Texas is especially conservative in general, to put it nicely.

4 Likes

I thought it was the Paulentologists.

At first, I thought it’s about opium production.

Turned out that there’s enough golden triangles to make old Sierpinski happy.

5 Likes

American Taliban aka Old Angry GOP~TE@B@GGER~Check List

Home stacked on bricks/wheels or BOTH - ✓

High flying Rebel & Don’t Tread On Me Flags - ✓

Backyard Bunker, Decorated with the Stars & Bars - ✓

Rather hug their GUNS than their own kids - ✓

Maxed out EBT Card on Emergency Food Supplies - ✓

Dating, engaged or married to PREGNANT sister - ✓

Flosses last remaining tooth - ✓

Hot Crack or Meth Pipe - ✓

Owns Duck Dynasty Gear - ✓

Member also of the KuKluxKlan - ✓

On Medicare but HATES Government Programs - ✓

Just found out Ted Cruz is on Obamacare - ✓

Hates America - (we shut it down) ✓

Hates Hispanics - (electrify the fence) ✓

Hates Jews - ✓

Hates Gays - (GOP gays stay in the closet) DOUBLE ✓

Hates Blacks - QUADRUPLE ✓

Doesn’t know Big Tobacco aka Koch Bro are their leaders ✓

Decidedly anti-science ✓

Believes the Universe was created 6,000 years ago ✓

Follows do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do evangelical preachers ✓

Believes the Democrats shut down the Government✓

No idea Sarah Palin was banging NBA star Glenn Rice(a BROTHER) - ✓

Despise College Educations - ✓

High grade completion 5th - ✓

IQ close to but not to exceed 80 - ✓

Votes against own interest (explains the IQ) - ✓

GOP troll account on CNN, POLITICO, HP and TPM - ✓

Trailer-park trash defends BIGOTED & RACIST_PRICK Copeland - ✓

Owns Fox News “Bengahzi Gear” Cap, T-Shirt and Bengahzi flip flops! - ✓

Request the Racist Package from DishNetwork/DirectTV - ✓

Watches Fox News Comedy Network 24/7 - ✓

Believes Bill O’reilly wife beater and hate monger is wonderful - ✓

Endorses Josh Drugger as the next Tea party Candidate! - ✓

Support 47 treasonous Anti-American cowards - ✓

Sorry I ruined you Old and Angry GOP~TE@B@GGERS day, but the FACTS are the facts.

Love and Kisses Papasan

2 Likes