The delightful Grain Audio walnut-cased Bluetooth speaker

[Permalink]

For alternative selections, the Wirecutterā€™s recommendations have been excellent. I have a couple of smaller UE Mobile Boombox (their previous favorite) that really surprised me, especially at a sale price of $50 (MSRP $100). I bought the second one after being so satisfied with the first.

When I loaded the BB homepage, the speaker itself was below the fold. So I read the headline and assumed the ā€˜walnut-cased Bluetooth speakerā€™ was the cat - either in some absurdist humour or extremely impressive taxidermy.

I love that either of those options seemed equally likely on this site.

2 Likes

I wonder if Mark has any of the FoxL series for comparrison. Pretty good speaker!

Delightful tabby-furred Sharptooth sneaker? (Or squeaker, or streaker, orā€¦)

I am happy with my Bongo Bamboo speakers: Bamboo bluetooth speakers - Boing Boing
Havenā€™t used it much since I received it a couple weeks ago, but the sound was much better than I expected.

using cats for size comparison can lead to some misunderstandingsā€¦
http://archive.indystar.com/interactive/article/20130628/NEWS09/306280064/Readers-yowl-over-apparently-HUGE-housecat-Indy-Star-infographic-check-baseline-

2 Likes

WFMU! (Post must be at least 6 characters long.)

$249?

I remember the days when I could buy, for $199, a stereo SYSTEM, with a five-CD changer, 2 cassette decks, record player, AM AND FM, and two big bookshelf speakers, made by RCA. (Only 20 years ago.)

Now? I get one tiny speaker. And sure, I can buy a scratched iPod Classic with 160 GB from Gamestop for $70, but still, $249 for a speaker? And Iā€™ve bought bluetooth speakers for $100, but itā€™s only one speakerā€¦

ā€¦and my grandpaā€™s tape collection sits alone and abandoned, rotting away in obsolescence.

I bought my FoxL2 more than three years ago, after reading the BoingBoing post about Henry Rollinsā€™s praise for the tiny Bluetooth speaker ( http://boingboing.net/2010/08/05/henry-rollinss-favor.html ). Best $200 I have ever spent. It sounds awesome and is smaller than any other ā€œaudiophileā€ portable Bluetooth speaker set I have seen. Everyone who has heard it is amazed at the sound quality. I am curious to know how it stacks up against other, newer designs, but I have never seen it included in product comparisons with those other speakers.

Yeah, Iā€™m not buying into it either. I bought my wife a Bluetooth speaker by Anker that has great sound, corded or Bluetooth connectivity and a micro USB charger. Great sound, great size, for a whopping $30

Hereā€™s something that might make you feel a tad better: Adjusted for inflation, that stereo system would have been $321 in 2013 dollars.

On Amazon I see there is a UE Mini Boom and a Logitech Mini Boom. The UE is usually $100 and the Logitech is $60. Any idea if they are the same hardware? Which one do you have?

Well, thatā€™s assuming that today, the stereoprice wouldnā€™t be adjusted downward for Walmart-style price pressure (see the classic case of the Vlassic pickle $3 megajar). Plus, the $249 only buys me a speaker; you still have to buy a device to put your digital music on, and thatā€™s semi-difficult to do on the remaining $72 (that iPod classic I just bought doesnā€™t have radio, for example). I could get a carrier-subsidized smartphone, but then of course I have a two-year contract for wireless service.

At least the music is cheaper, either through cheap MP3s or streaming or (gulp) piracy and file-sharing. I remember when the semi-monthly $11.99 CD sale at Rainbow Records was a big deal. Now, there are very few albums that would cost me that much in 2013 dollars, and buying single songs is much easier.

Let me know when Iā€™ve beaten this topic to death.

Welcome to the future.

Or, to save you the trip, thatā€™s a pair of headphones with a built-in mp3 player and a microSD card slot ā€“ and Bluetooth 2.1 capability ā€“ all for USD31.

So, if you want better headphones, youā€™ll end up tossing the rest of the electronics.

The cat seems absolutely delighted with it.

Or just buy ones with bluetooth support. Then you will have bluetooth headphones connecting to a bluetooth, headphone-shaped, mp3 player.

Also, ceci nā€™est pas une pipe.

It is probably playing a song by Yusuf Islamā€¦

1 Like

pah-- bluetooth.

Oh I want mp3 and bluetooth and radio and this and this and that and that. It would be nice if they sounded good, but thatā€™s not critical.

is absolutely the wrong approach

Start with good headphones-- headphones that actually sound good to your ears, tattered though they might be. Donā€™t start with bloody electronics.