Watch 50 Years of Korean Cinema Free from the Korean Film Archive

[Permalink]

2 Likes

I met a Korean woman recently, and immediately started talking to her about Korean films. And Iā€™ve only begun to scratch the surface of the vast number of titles out there. Iā€™m glad to see 301/302 mentioned here, because it was my introduction to Korean cinema.

Recently I watched Please Teach Me English. Itā€™s a simple romantic comedy, but so clever, and so charming. And it highlights the problem with watching a subtitled comedy. I had to pause it and wait 'til I stopped laughing because I didnā€™t want to miss anything.

Donā€™t forget you can also find Northern works on the web like the ā€œrevolutionary operaā€ The Flower Girl, supposedly penned by Kim Il Sung himself!

Not to mention their pretty rational writing system.

This is what I come to bOINGbOING for.

2 Likes

As a fellow student of Korean, I really found this archive useful when writing my BA dissertation and I could not more highly recommend watching movies from the 1960ā€™s such as ā€˜Madame Freedomā€™ and ā€˜Love Marriageā€™ which give such a great insight into what was expected of Korean women at the time.

Another interesting thing you can see in those movies from the late 50s and 60s are the inclusion of English teachers in the wealthy households and how much english had already been adopted into the common vernacular after the Korean War.

Really fascinating.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.