10 places around the world you're not allowed to visit

Oh no, it makes sense, it’s just…man, how to explain. As a child, I feel that I struggled a lot with “plot.” Things happened, I got the events, but chaining them together never really meant much. Maybe because everything was recorded off of TV with commercial breaks, and you might start and stop something anywhere as chores and meals and such intervened. I don’t know.

Anyway, a lot of those movies are just “facts” to me, things I’ve never reconsidered with a new perspective. Especially the Indy films, as they were all pretty standalone.

Heck, there’s almost certainly a date on the screen at the beginning of each movie, and I just never processed it.

4 Likes

yeah, I had to look it up, too.
according to Wikipedia, it was a device to exclude Nazis from being the villains again, which seems a sound decision.

2 Likes

Fair enough! :smiley:

I’ve fantasised that when I retire, I want to go back to study archives; I would love to rootle around in old letters and photos.

3 Likes

I was well into adulthood when I finally realized why Marion was so mad at Indy and what she meant by this:

(Canonically she had been just 15 when he had seduced/statutorily raped her)

11 Likes

Oh man, you never want to get involved in one of those “Archivist vs. Librarian” turf wars… those things can turn brutal. Silent, but brutal.

9 Likes

Yeah, that one squicked me out some time ago. College, maybe

5 Likes

Romulan whiskey!

4 Likes

8 Likes

Isn’t Area 51 also a place that you/re not allowed to visit? Attempting to do so can be hazard to your health.

1 Like

Area 51 Running GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

As for his other sidekick that we never saw again, it was cool to see the actor who played Short Round return to the screen to star in Everything Everywhere All At Once after a couple of decades working behind the scenes.

4 Likes

It seems like the unstated “that aren’t totally banal” half of this topic is important.

Depending on the details of our respective commutes many of us probably pass a dozen or more locations, or at least utility closets of various sorts, that are access controlled against the unwashed; it’s just that nobody cares very much about exurban office building utility closet 3-B.

4 Likes

Allegedly Ft Knox is impossible to get into - not even congresscritters and the like are welcome. Some say that’s because (dunnn dun dunnn…) it’s empty. Or it’s just very secure.

To put it in perspective, I’ve hosted numerous of the above critters to come and fondle plutonium things, including weapon pits. Heck, they’ve even let me into a room full of weapons (though I’m certain there were at least two crosshairs on me the entire time).

Ft Knox is bordering on bizarre documentary space though… Where’s Geraldo when we need him?

2 Likes

Maybe the vault workers just don’t want to clean up all that loose gold first. Who can blame them? That shit is heavy.

3 Likes

But you have sipped Champagne on a yacht while visiting Nice and the isles of Greece?

1 Like

indeed. because nobody but nobody is allowed in my place ( well, unless they’re willing to take their shoes off ) - and i doubt my address is showing up in any list of notably inaccessible places

true of the mormon temple too. ( except of course you have to be mormon. though it’d be cool if you had to be muslim to visit the mormon temple. :thinking: )

i figure probably every religion has a members only space.

3 Likes

Death by a thousand paper cuts.

1 Like

They recently opened the DC “Surrender Dorothy” temple to the public. Apparently the building was damaged by the earthquake a decade or so ago, as well as water damage, and needing a new AC system, I think, so they de-sanctified the temple to allow repair crews in. They let the public in for tours too, but they didn’t allow photos inside. They’ll re-dedicate it soon, and they don’t expect it to be reopened for another 50 or 100 years.

2 Likes

Kiddo’s school trip to DC last week, and she and I were one of two non-Mormon families. They all went to some open house type event there one evening. We heathens were not invited.

Wait, earthquake damage? In the greater DC area?

4 Likes

Yep. 5.8 magnitude, back in 2011.

4 Likes