100 proofs the Earth is a globe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/20/100-proofs-the-earth-is-a-glob.html

4 Likes

Nonsense. It’s an oblate spheroid. Resting on the backs of four elephants.

Teach the controversy!

18 Likes

“the turtle moves…”

16 Likes

Methinks, they doth protest too much! 100 Proofs the Earth is a globe? More like one proof the Earth is a Disc!! A disc with four corners!!! And a hollow centre, where in Nazis and Dinosaurs and Nazi Dinosaurs do dwell!!! All powered by V’ril and the energy of the Black Sun!!! Just watch all off Kubrick’s oeuvre backwards to see the hidden proof!!! CAPS LOCK, SHEEPLE, CAPS LOCK!!!

18 Likes

Nonsense.
Giant, fossilized space potato.
Obviously.

9 Likes

When the Butter Comet comes it will be GLORIOUS!!

11 Likes

Mirror Agartha?

8 Likes

I was just reading the Wikipedia article on the 1938-39 German Expedition to Tibet, beyond the surreal idea of an SS-Botanist, the whole search for new resistant strains of crops and the focus on sexual practices just leaves me feeling like I’ve been run over by a herd of willful, dark and twisted, pseudo-scientific lunacy.

"The Germans collected anything they could: thousands of artifacts, a huge number of plants and animals, including live specimens. They sent back specimens of three breeds of Tibetan dogs, rare feline species, wolves, badgers, foxes, animal and bird skins.[39]

"The expedition members collected a huge quantity of plants, in particular hundreds of varieties of barley, wheat and oats. The seeds were later stored in the SS-Institute for Plant Genetics in Lannach near Graz, Austria, a research centre run by SS botanist Heinz Brücher. Brücher entertained hopes of using both the Tibet collection and that of the Vavilov Institute in the Eastern territories to select crop plants able to withstand the climate of Eastern Europe – considered at the time as part of the Nazi Lebensraum or “living space” – with a view to reaching autarky.[40]

"Wienert took four sets of geomagnetic data. Krause studied Tibetan wasps. Schäfer observed Tibetan rituals, including sky burial (he even bought some human skulls). They took stills and film footage of local culture, notably the spectacular New Year celebrations when tens of thousands of pilgrims flocked to Lhasa. Bruno Beger recorded the measurements of 376 people and took casts of the heads, faces, hands and ears of 17 more, as well as fingerprints and hand prints from another 350. To carry out his research, he posed as a medicine man to win the favour of Tibetan aristocrats, dispensing drugs and tending to monks with sexually transmitted diseases.[39]

"Schäfer kept meticulous notes on the religious and cultural customs of the Tibetans, from their various colorful Buddhist festivals to Tibetan attitudes towards marriage, rape, menstruation, childbirth, homosexuality and masturbation. In his account of Tibetan homosexuality he describes the various positions taken by older lamas with younger boys and then goes on to explain how homosexuality played an important role in the higher politics of Tibet. There are pages of careful observation of Himalayan people engaged in a variety of intimate acts.[41]

“Schäfer presented the results of the expedition on 25 July 1939 at the Himalaya Club Calcutta.[42]

4 Likes

Feh.

You roundies are always making with the math like it proves something. Numbers are just Arabic tomfoolery with delusions of grandeur and you roundies can keep 'em. Newt Gingrich spoke for all of us salt-of-the-flat Earthers when he said:

“The current view is that liberals have a whole set of statistics that theoretically might be right, but it’s not where human beings are.”

Us and Newt, we got heart and we’re going with our feelings.

11 Likes
10 Likes

My gut has never lead me astray… I totally meant to end up in House of Pancakes!

@tuhu That’s a great retelling of a genuinely genius story.

I think it must have been great for later generations, around during the Enlightenment (ignoring war, disease, etc), as they had enough knowledge to grapple with problems, but those problems were sufficiently basic that you could approach them with some simple tools, rather than having to build huge atom-smashers like today. The people who really blow my mind are pure mathematicians who can “see” in to the underpinnings of the Universe with just a piece of chalk and board.

10 Likes

Agatean Empire, please. As @Tamsin_Bailey already stated, de chelonian mobile.

3 Likes

With that observation, Eratosthenes proved that the Earth was either a sphere, a cylinder, or a torus. (Or potato-shaped.)

3 Likes

I prefer ‘Black Sun’ on my toast, personally.

5 Likes

We should start a religion around this.

4 Likes

He didn’t prove anything with the initial observation, but it was a repeatable physical experiment that would rule out cylinders etc.

Luckily it’s been done more than once.

3 Likes

They have been founded on more ridiculous ideas before…

“Everything will be alright, as long as I have my potato…”

6 Likes

I refuse to acknowledge the pro-globe arguments of someone whose name is an anagram of “sees not earth”.

3 Likes

Sure, but that’s just the kind of stubbornness I’d expect from a Jacobin PM.

5 Likes

tumblr_lxz4byXDM61qgn2xvo3_250

5 Likes