100-year-old "Lobster Lady" gets a film about her unusual life

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/14/100-year-old-lobster-lady.html

11 Likes

Virginia is awesome. She reminds me of my granny, right down to the accent.

8 Likes

When asked about the secret to long life, I want to hear one of these centenarians say, just once, “drinking and fucking” with a very slight smile.

7 Likes

I’d like one of them to say “I could tell you, but it would just be a meaningless example of survivorship bias.”

12 Likes

She’s almost a dead ringer for my Memere (great-grandmother), born in 1900, passed away in 1999.
I’d like to hereby dub Lobster Lady the Betty White of Maine. What a delightful person!

5 Likes

I’d like to hear one of them say, “the secret is to do whatever the fuck you want, s’long as you’re not hurting anybody,” which is kind of sort of what she did in the video, pointing out a few times that she was very independent and lived a different life than most.
But I’d take your option for a win any day :wink:

7 Likes

Headline:

“Lobster Lady”

My brain:

Clarification:

My brain (mildly disappointed): Ah that makes sense.

19 Likes
6 Likes

“Lobster Lady”? I’m asking for a friend.

14 Likes

I’m with you. 92 years of lobster-ring sounds like a very long life indeed.

1 Like

One joke continues:
And how old are you?

1 Like

All the women on my mother’s side are 21.

Grandma was 21 to the bitter, snarling end.

1 Like

Same. Except I thought of the people who have congenital misshapen hands and feet. Was ready to get into a “why, that’s so exploitative” huff. Then I read the summary.

1 Like

“I have friends.”

Is that a threat?

2 Likes
1 Like

When people ask me how I look so young for my age I tell them basically the same thing as Borgnine.

“Look, nobody said it would be easy, but if you get in the habit of doing it every day you’ll get used to it, and eventually learn to really enjoy it.”

2 Likes

She may outlive Larry, but probably not Louie or George.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.