$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia

2 Likes

Having read through a lot of the snarking in this thread, I wonder what future generations will say of us. All the things we take for granted, because most of us never had the experience of being without them.

I fear the verdict of our sons and daughters, and more so the wrath of their grandchildren.
But the story, especially in Beschizza’s version, is definitely verdichtet towards a literal Schadenfreude also on my part.

This is a fair point. more now than at any point in the past, youthful missteps are recorded for all to see.

3 Likes

Billy McFarland has done this before. Repeatedly. He’s a career scammer.

4 Likes

That has to be the most “legitimate businessman” phrase I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

I don’t know… I read that article and I think “don’t attribute to malice what a pathological lack of introspection can more easily explain.” The mere fact that he thinks this could go on in the future leads me to think that maybe he has some issues, like untreated bipolar disorder…but who knows? He could be a scammer.

3 Likes

OK, McFarland has considerable prior form of promising aspirational experiences, taking the money, and running away with it rather than making any effort to deliver on the promised experiences. And this could be a pathological lack of introspection, rather than conmanship. But I would not personally sign up for his next project.

I am not sure if “pathological” is the appropriate word. McFarland’s previous ventures have ended up with money in his possession that had previously languished in someone else’s pocket. I am not seeing the pathology, or the incentive for him to change.

I am certainly not ascribing him with “malice”. He just takes your money, there is no ill-will involved.

2 Likes

I’m laughing out loud. That is probably my favourite bad taste joke of the year so far. Donald is going to have to up his game.

But for all those which don’t become viral, or fail so miserably they make headlines otherwise, bit rot and the myth of the never forgetting interwebz might become a salvation from this.

Quick, look, a squirrel!

humming silently off stage
out in the indian ocean somewhere lies a former army post…

It’s doesn’t matter whatbkind of conditions the locals are used to. If you dump a few thousand people into any location without adequate infrastructure or consumables, then it’s going to be a humanitarian disaster. See also: Hurricane Katrina.

4 Likes

We’re in 100% agreement on that one! Regardless of the origin of the failures, that guy’s a real piece of work…

1 Like

I once saw a intentionally cheesy zombie movie about people (all tried stereotypes) travelling to a remote island for a festival…then zombies! But can’t remember the name.
Was that an Uwe Boll movie maybe?
For what it was it was actually quite good and I’d watch it again.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.