$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia

Here! I am giving you a symbolic wealth token over the internet. So now you have super powers. If anybody says it’s delusional, tell them that I said so.

1 Like

What kills me is that the guy behind this whole cluster, Billy McFarland, will leave all this chaos behind in a few more days and move on to the next big thing, and people will let him. Investors will give him money to squander on his next project, people will voluntarily become his employees, influencers will lend him their credibility as if this never happened.

He and Ja Rule have been promising everyone refunds, but I can’t imagine how that will be possible since their operation has been cash poor the whole time. Where will those refunds come from? Instead, he’ll contract some people to handle damage control for him, then he’ll move on. Then the damage control contractors will find themselves with no budget, and eventually with no compensation. Meanwhile, he’ll be extracting a fortune from his next doomed project.

In modern American society failing big is rewarded the same or better than succeeding. What a mess.

5 Likes

I understand the difficulty - I’m not filled with heartbreak for their disappointment.

And true, I imagine the vast majority of the world would find it difficult to summon up empathy for those of us who might be able to save up $1,000 disposable income for a much anticipated vacation only to have it disastrously ruined.

But I would hope that most such people, who are farther from us than we are from those “trust-fund kids”, would try to avoid taking glee in our unhappiness. And failing that (since taking joy in people’s suffering is nearly ubiquitous if they’re the “right people”) I would hope they might feel awkward enough about that joy to avoid seeking out others with whom they might share their schadenfreude.

We will always have a tendency to glory in the tears of others. We crave the suffering of those we’ve declared our enemies. But I’m fairly certain that we’re not made better people by celebrating that tendency.

(Which to be clear, LadyKatey did not.)

3 Likes

He was a tyrant. It would never occurred to him to say “Why not both?”.[quote=“orenwolf, post:157, topic:100039”]
(keep your shit with you - I mean come on, tents!,
[/quote]

Sorry to hear of you friends loss. Devastating.

Re the keeping your stuff in tents thing, I traveled through 26 countries, 1991 to 1993, staying in tents, hostels and backpackers. I had one book and one fry pan stolen in all that time. I met nobody at all who had had their tent raided. Only two people who had lost valuables in backpackers/etc.
Simpler, safer times, I have often thought.

2 Likes

Do antique lands have access to GIFs?

he was the King of Kings. If he didn’t, and wanted to, I wouldn’ta wanted to be his Grand Vizier. “You shall die the death of a Thousand Screams!”

I dunno man, I was petrified to do anything because I was so acutely aware of all the things I didn’t know! It was so hard to start to do anything because I didn’t know where to start because there was just so much I didn’t know! (I’ve learned there is a term for this in entrepreneurship circles, its called “analysis paralysis”, which is hilarious and apt.)

I wanted to know how to DO things. I just never assumed things hadn’t been done before or things were brand new, I knew there were experts and professionals, my hangup was how to get those experts to help me or work with me for free when I was just a naif kid with nothing to offer! Theses kids don’t even seem to know that there are experts or that there are things they don’t know.

@Mindysan33 - a thing we are always saying at work over and over “stop reinventing the wheel” - I honestly am starting to think they don’t even know what that means when we say it.

8 Likes

You call that a festival? Why, in the 60s we REALLY had festivals:

6 Likes

I am pretty fascinated by this whole thing. I have predictions:

1. People with social or business connections to the organizers will get refunds. Some group beyond those people will get partial refunds. Most people will not receive refunds. The money these paid for tickets was all already spent.

2. The event site will be left a total mess, and the Bahamian government will probably end up cleaning the place.

Here’s an article that briefly touches on Billy McFarland’s previous failed efforts.

Here’s an interview with Seth Crossno, who did a lot of the most-often repeated tweeting from the site.

2 Likes

Will have used to be? Will used to have been? Where’s my copy of “1,001 time traveler’s tense corrections” when I am going to have needed it?

On a more serious note, while I get the schadenfreude, I do still feel bad for the attendees and hope everyone gets back safe.

But… where is the cannibalism?

1 Like

Fyre Festival has updated the statement on their site with more blah blah blah. They claim that they’ve received surprising support and offers of future cooperation from the music community, which I hope is a lie.

Fyre also says that next time they’ll have more experienced event planners. I think that’s kind of a nasty dig at the event planners they did have, who told them not to go forward with this insanity. An event planner can only do what their employers allow them to. Here’s an article from the person who briefly worked as their talent manager, before quitting in disgust.

I bet one lesson the Fyre organizers will learn is to make people sign those NDAs.

4 Likes

“I went to the place where every white face is an invitation to robbery…” SAFE EUROPEAN HOME, THE CLASH.

Fuck them. What did they expect? Supermodels and yachts? Assholes.

North Carolina is good for this fantasy, actually. I was going to do exactly this last year ( just the weekend though) when the Hurricane rolled through.

If you don’t have a soul, why bother searching for it? Yes. That will be the lesson they learn from this debacle.

3 Likes

Dude, hippies are vegetarians.

I knew Dinty Moore. Dinty Moore was a friend of mine. Dinty Moore was NO vegetarian.

4 Likes

[quote=“Mindysan33, post:142, topic:100039”]
It’s less about them doing dumb shit and more about them treating the rest of the world like their personal playground. [/quote]

Yea, that’s really annoying, and pushes a lot of people’s buttons (mine included), so no argument there!

if someone had died or been seriously brutalized, I might feel different.

Well, it’s second-hand information, but a twitter stream posted to a sub-reddit on the affair claims that people were being beaten up by security and having their stuff stolen…

From what I’ve read, it seems like they had good intentions (well, at least honest ones), but got in way over their heads.

I don’t think it was intended to be any kind of scam. After all, one of the organizers was a very public figure; it’s not like he could “take the money and run.”

I think the lack of ethics comes in when it was obvious to everyone involved that this thing wasn’t coming together and they didn’t cancel before people arrived.

I have more empathy for people being beaten up. Stuff can generally be replaced.

2 Likes