$12,000-a-ticket luxury Fyre Festival in Bahamas descends into a Lord of the Flies dystopia

Try harder. Would a wealthy LadyKatey be a worse person than a poor LadyKaty?

That’s giving them an awful lot of forethought and credit. It’s far more likely that the people who planned this just had no clue how to run a music festival.

2 Likes

Right, as if music festivals haven’t been happening for literally decades all over the world. You really don’t need to reinvent the wheel, here people. Just look at how people have done it in the past, get some expert help, and do your thing! It’s not rocket science, it’s a music festival!

7 Likes

This is for the “glamping” set, remember, where one hires someone who knows how to set up a tent, so why would one have to know how to do it oneself?

1 Like

It’s not that all rich people are entitled douches. It’s that many are. We’re not necessarily irritated with all the rich, just the entitled douche ones. And yes, a poor person who is an entitled douche is just as irritating. It’s the behavior, not the economic status.

11 Likes

Did you see the names of the Tweeters? “IsellBrooklyn”…? Over-Paid real estate agent who capitalized on the gentrification of a once proud borough.

Does no one even understand the point of Year One of a music festival? You don’t go to have a good time! You’re guaranteed to have a miserable time, due to the vast multitude of problems that the organizers didn’t anticipate.

You go so that you can go on Year Two, and say, “Eh. This festival used to be cool, but now it’s sold out to the corporations and everything’s all sanitized and fake.”

It sounds like the Fyre Festival used to be especially cool, unless of course they don’t have one next year.

3 Likes

[quote=“Missy_Pants, post:138, topic:100039, full:true”]As the CEO if Fyre is only 25. This is what I expect from people his age, youth, millennials, whatever you want to call them. They do this. Have a grand idea and try to do it all by themselves. And seem to have no idea that a there are professionals or expects that do this shit for a living. I see this time and time again at the university.
[/quote]

I was an older student at the University of Florida, and remember seeing this quite a bit among younger students during the dot.com and independent filmmaking booms (which I think were fuel for the fire).
I knew a fellow student who told me about her idea to surpass the new Netflix-style service, which on the face of it was exactly a Netflix-style service.
I think it’s young people with money, looks, or a niche talent - “influencers” who are riding that wave of high school and college popularity fail to see their own shortcomings in time to save themselves from the crash.
Cue the unnamed ad exec who stated, “Let’s just do it and be legends”. Pure hubris.

2 Likes

Fortunately UF also has well-recognized hospitality and event-management programs. Too bad the Fyre organizers didn’t realize that this is an actual field with people who do this for a living.

(I also attended UF, though have moved out of the recreation field)

1 Like

A way to lose money, too.

1 Like

So larval Trumps?

2 Likes

And very good at what they did, too. So many great concerts and events I can remember that received technical support from the school.

Back to festivals…I wonder what happened to the guy who ran the Covered Dish - the one with the the short arms? Now that guy would have been excellent at running an anti-Coachella style festival.

2 Likes

Oh stop adulting all over juvenile panic. It takes all the drama away.

When your passport, credit cards, and cash are all stolen a resort isn’t going to take you in. From what I’ve been reading at least a good chunk, if not most, of the festival goers were in their 20s and scraped to get the base-level tickets to go and didn’t have much, if any, money left after they got the tickets. My other question will be how many people were aware that the resort was nearby? If it’s not obvious and people don’t know the area, they really won’t know where to go or what to do for help. This was billed as something that the festival staff would be around to help with pretty much any issue that came up.

Here’s how I look at it, as someone who has both travelled sans-tour or other planners, and as someone who’s had the parent of a close family friend murdered while vacationing in the caribbean(!):

• No one here was permanently harmed. Important life lessons were learned.
  • Given that no one was permanently harmed, walking to the next resort and using the phone to contact friends/family for assistance getting home, and a possibly crappy night or so becomes a harrowing, but entirely survivable experience.

I sincerely hope these folks will not be so trusting in the future as a result. Folks who aren’t at exclusive parties get mugged and worse, too - and the same advice they give to all travellers (keep your shit with you - I mean come on, tents!, stay in groups, know how to contact authorities, research your destination and emergency options) are all things that probably separated the folks who had a rough night of it but came out ok from the people who lost their shit because of no/poor planning.

I’ve scraped together my last two cents to travel with no backup plan. But I researched and knew my options every step of the way just in case. I’ve also suffered the uniquely shitty experience in my youth of living under a blanket on the grounds of Toronto City Hall for a night because of terrible planning and no contingencies. That taught me right quick to not do that ever again.

A good, close family friend was assaulted (and her mom murdered) on a beach walk in the caribbean when they walked away from their resort and didn’t research the perils of the surrounding environment. That’s a fucking tragedy and I dearly hope the experiences these folks have had early in life will help ensure something like what happened to our friend never happens to them or anyone they know.

16 Likes

According to the tribune article:

From our understanding the festival was originally scheduled for Norman’s Cay; but had to be switched to Georgtown at the last minute.

And Norman’s Cay is an island that was used by drug smugglers, though from what I remember from my visits to Andros, that just means that there are now trees in the middle of the road, so as to prevent private planes from using them as airstrips.

1 Like

Oh, I do hope Marilyn Manson was one of the acts there and played “Beautiful People” repeatedly.

2 Likes

No, but they had Shatner on the boombox.

4 Likes

Shit, I caught the end of the free festival heyday in the UK. We had events with tens of thousands there, multiple stages, radio stations, our own newspapers, food vendors who probably wouldn’t kill you and really, really good drugs. All organised by hippies and anarchists doing it for fun communicating via landlines and payphones. These fuckers couldn’t do a party with millions in funds behind them? Yeesh.

9 Likes

Maybe I’m giving the guy far too much credit(or just assembling a comping mechanism that allow me to not face the reality that he might actually have believed ‘music festival fails to be utter disaster’, even if achievable, would be ‘legendary’); but I couldn’t shake the possibility that he was aware that failure can also be legendary(and that most of the organizers would probably slip away from the burning rubble without permanent consequences).

That’s certainly its own flavor of arrogant; but the belief that you’ll just be able to walk away from the consequences is often entirely accurate; and it’s downright sensible to believe that a nice mediagenic display of fractal incompetence would be far closer to ‘legendary’ than a Blink-182 concert on a beach.

Does Ozymandias want us to despair because his works are mightier than ours; or because our works will endure no better than his?

1 Like