2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Clint Eastwood:

8 Likes
14 Likes
9 Likes

But who does the chair endorse?

14 Likes

Clint on one side, Dick Van Dyke on the other.

Hmmm… Dick Van Dyke was doing his own stunts before it was even a thing. And anyone who knows acting is knows comedy is harder than drama. Yeah, I think we know who the real cool old-guy is.

11 Likes

15 Likes

See, Mike, the problem with memes is… well…

17 Likes

Fingers crossed!

6 Likes

totally. that’s why i put the quotes. but it is a system, and it seems some sort of clearing house, directory, or guides would be needed to replace it. for people entering the system, or moving from place to place, etc.

obviously other countries figure it out. @RickMycroft’s canadian take maybe.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t think that is insurmountable as a problem, though. The benefits we’d get from a single payer system make this (like other problems) totally worth any hassle of reconfiguring.

Right now people are dying because they can’t afford health care. This is an intolerable situation that must change. Will it require changes and work to do so? Of course. Doesn’t mean it won’t be better in the long run, whatever issues of a transition.

10 Likes

“maybe he uses his personal money”

some significant part which should have been eaten up by wall street transaction taxes, higher pay for his workers, higher personal taxes, higher capital gains taxes, etc.

his debate response “i worked hard for my money”, just ugh. we all work hard buddy. there are people working longer hours, with less support, who earn bare fractions of what he does. do they not work hard?

#$@&!

10 Likes

It’s hard to argue with Mr Van Dyke’s awesomeness.

“ In 1973, Van Dyke voiced his animated likeness for the October 27, 1973 installment of Hanna-Barbera’s The New Scooby-Doo Movies, “Scooby-Doo Meets Dick Van Dyke,”

“ sang the national anthem at three Los Angeles Lakers games including a nationally televised NBA Finals”

“ Van Dyke became a computer animationenthusiast after purchasing a Commodore Amigain 1991. He is credited with the creation of 3D-rendered effects used on Diagnosis: Murder and The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited. Van Dyke has displayed his computer-generated imagerywork at SIGGRAPH, and continues to work with LightWave

And Captain America stole his origin story.

“ Van Dyke left high school in 1944, his senior year, intending to join the United States Army Air Forces for pilot training during World War II. Denied enlistment several times for being underweight, he was eventually accepted for service as a radio announcer before transferring to the Special Services

Oddly- both are Mayflower descendants.

12 Likes

I’ve probably said it here before, but my strong belief is that the purpose of any political campaign (at least, successful ones) is to demoralize and/or burn out as many potential voters as possible so they can be relied upon to stay home and not vote at all. Those who consistently vote, probably consistently vote R or D. I’d bet money that a political ad rarely if ever changed someone’s mind (other than perhaps whether to vote at all)

2 Likes

13 Likes

I would argue that’s not really changing sides, just choosing a different oligarch.

6 Likes
11 Likes

I know! I know! Next up is calling him a Nazi.

12 Likes

Wow, so blatant. I guess she benefits from the status quo.

6 Likes

There’s lots of fun to be had in digging through the posting history of establishment hacks:

12 Likes
7 Likes