2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

8 Likes

It’s a dumb ass thing to say, but I doubt it hurts politically at all. “I’m less racist than George Washington because Washington owned hundreds of slaves” is going to be a politically confusing narrative for Trump to push.

6 Likes

I don’t even think it’s true. It’s harder to be more racist than someone who owned hundreds of people, but I think Trump’s got this.

2 Likes

Because Cleveland counts twice, not because Obama wasn’t racist

4 Likes

As usual, the damage done here is not in motivating people to vote for Trump, but in motivating people not to vote for Biden.

Biden is declaring that he has no interest in disturbing the white supremacist status quo. All he’s offering is business as usual with a different figurehead.

4 Likes

A lot depends on his VP pick. A woman who is also a POC as his running mate cannot reasonably be considered “having no interest in disturbing the white supremacist status quo.”

8 Likes

“Skinfolk ain’t always kinfolk.”

–Z N Hurston

10 Likes

I’m holding out some small hope he picks Stacey Abrams, but I have a feeling he’ll go with someone more mainstream.

9 Likes

Fair enough, but he’s seriously considering true progressives, not just members of TPTB.

3 Likes

OTOH - There are also strategists involved like Bannon, Miller, Gorka and other non-directly-admin linked background characters like Mercer, Prince and Thiel involved - who are presumably working all angles and studying all the weaknesses in the rules of the game. It’s that cohort that got him in in the first place - and did so operating within a massive blind-spot of the conventional-wisdom’s media establishment gatekeepers.

4 Likes
8 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s an outlier, but Biden being thirteen points ahead of Trump in Florida would be nice.

6 Likes

And maybe juuuust enough to squeak past all forms of Republican voter suppression!

6 Likes

From real clear politics today:

It’s looking pretty grim for Little Donnie.

9 Likes

Wow. If this kind of a spread persists, then the election is going to look like a rout for Trump. Let’s hope so!

6 Likes

The Biden campaign in a statement later acknowledged past racist presidents but said Trump stands out among them.
“There have been a number of racist American presidents, but Trump stands out — especially in modern history — because he made running on racism and division his calling card and won,” Biden campaign senior adviser Symone Sanders said. “He deliberately foments both, intentionally causing indescribable pain because he thinks it advantages him politically.”

1 Like

Saying that Trump is in any way normal is a dangerous statement for any candidate to made. A big vulnerability for Trump amongst the majority of the country is the fairly accurate perception that he has done a whole bunch of things that’s beyond the pale. Attacking the founding fathers etc is righteous and all, but will motivate people to vote for Trump.

1 Like

7 Likes

Although the tin hat force is strong with this guy, there is truth to the estrogen effects of Soy Milk. My wife was actually prescribed a glass of Soy Milk per day by her OBGYN to increase her estrogen enough to offset some of the minor symptoms of perimenopause. Since she started drinking it she no longer has hot flashes and unfounded mood swings.

That sounds a bit like a placebo effect. One glass of soy milk isn’t that much estrogen. Asian men on average eat more soy than that every day.

Of course, they don’t suffer from perimenopause symptoms, so maybe you’re onto something there!

10 Likes