2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

I don’t have cookies enabled so it let me through. Here’s another take on the story. Your comment about McConnell being seen as not helping the current administration is interesting, given 45’s anti-China statements. Will economic envy (among those who don’t care where the money comes from, they just hate the wealthy) and accusations of corruption be the greater motivator for voters?

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/1613672393849/mcconnell-campaign-rips-racist-mcgrath-ad-that-claims-he-made-millions-off-of-china

3 Likes

Ugh… that goes to Townhall…

7 Likes

Yeesh, I hadn’t seen that commercial. She’s really gotten down in the dirt lately. Obviously she’s going for the hard-right Republican votes. I can’t see that advertising appealing much to moderates on either side.

I really do hope that people here are that discerning about individual issues, but I think McConnell, who helps Trump a lot, if “not enough”, will still be seen as better than McGrath, who will work against him as a rule.

I doubt they will even consider these questions, though. I am afraid it is just Red v Blue. Maybe I am just pessimistic and bitter. I truly hope she tears him a new one.

4 Likes

Obviously getting Mitch to lose his Senate race would be ideal, but that’s not the only (or even the primary) goal of the “Get Mitch” group. They’re giving money to a number of competitive Senate races (mostly not in Kentucky) because we absolutely need to take over the Senate to have any chance at all of accomplishing any sort of Progressive agenda whether or not Trump is defeated. Taking over the Senate and stripping Mitch of his power is something I can live with.

10 Likes

I know. Funny how all those claims McGrath is racist tend to go there, or to Faux News…

8 Likes

Gee, wonder why that is… couldn’t be because it’s made up propagandistic bullshit could it? NAH! /s

They are desperate, aren’t they, to hang on to whatever base they have left?

8 Likes

I’m kind of sick of people who can look at what’s happening in this country and think… “gee, both sides have some good points! And maybe things aren’t so bad, so I really don’t know who to vote for?” At this point if you’re still on the fence then you really need to pull your head out of your ass and look the fuck around you at what’s happening.

10 Likes

I don’t think think the fence-sitters care about what is going on around them, or really about social issues, at all. They’re the individual equivalent to corporations that give to both candidates. They may lean one way or the other on social issues, but it is less important than the bottom line.

If they think the Trump craziness will cause them to lose half their 401k value, they’ll vote for Biden. If they buy into the idea that Biden will push for more social programs and kill them with taxes, they’ll vote for Trump.

As polarized as the US is, I don’t think one can ever overestimate simple, unfeeling apathy.

7 Likes

If you can’t beat Mitch - or any other incumbent Republican Senators- you can make him irrelevant by winning the Senate.

The prize isn’t Mitch - it’s winning all three - Prez, House & Senate.

14 Likes

i guess thats kinda what I’m getting at. I think the progressive wing of the democratic party has the best solutions, but i am also afraid that it’s a bit naive to think that if the democratic party just moved left you could somehow convince people like that. Obama moved just a hair to the left (trying to compromise on a healthcare program that would get more people insired even if it wasnt universal) and everyone lost their shit and voted for trump in an insane backlash. :frowning:

Except that narrative doesn’t hold up. Obama received the highest vote total of any president in US history in 2008 and the 2nd highest in 2012. Safe to say if he had been able to run in 2016, he’d have trounced Trump or anything else the GOP has run on the strength of the economic recovery since 2009 alone.

8 Likes

look i hope you’re right. just when i see how deeply entrenched trump voters are after seeing all the hatred and destruction he’s caused, it makes me pessimistic about a large chunk of humans. a lot of greedy selfish hateful people out there. Its nice to see biden ahead by 10 or more points in national polls but the other guys are also pulling out all the stops to cheat and rig this thing. Sorry im in a really pessimistic mood this morning.

3 Likes

Totally understandable. But take heart in that the group of racist dirtbags is about 13% of the voting age population (which is embarrassing for the country, but not an electoral juggernaut). There are also studies that show that independent voters and non-voters do not sit politically between Dems and the GOP, but rather somewhat to the left or apart from both parties. The two keys to change are voter participation and enfranchisement.

We need to be prepared for some nasty shenanigans this election. They’ve already started with purging voter rolls, gutting the USPS, etc. we need to be prepared to take resistance to the next level if the election is stolen. But most of all, we have to get people voting.

12 Likes
7 Likes

https://twitter.com/unpaidcomintern/status/1299156981429800961?s=21

5 Likes

trump won doing that…

Because his voters are fucking idiots.

The bulk of the working class are not that easily fooled.

6 Likes

Or, they bought the original Trump campaign website since payment on it lapsed

4 Likes

And to bring it full circle, family members he pays handsomely and holds hostage after ensnaring them in shady legal practices so that they are absolutely dependent on his whims.

9 Likes

I did click through to look before posting, BTW.

That website falls under the category of “hey, look at the other guys”.

2 Likes