2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

Someone is feeling weak

And feeling powerless

12 Likes

Ohio, still trying to make Il Douche’s election wet dreams come true.

10 Likes

I think this kind of fits this thread, so:

9 Likes

Twitter Will Flag Trump or Biden Tweets If They Try to Declare Early Victory

Flag them?

No, delete them, you fucking cowards!

15 Likes

Even better, ban them. Both Twitter and Facebook have banned better users for less cause.

12 Likes

I think that is the best possible way forward. Politicians shouldn’t be allowed on Facebook, Twitter, etc., at all. The ability to abuse that is incredible, and I truly believe he does, daily, to manipulate the stock market.

Then when he finally gets scrutiny, the judgement will be like Tucker Carlson. “Well, it is Twitter, it’s a non-official medium. There’s no expectation of things like Truth.”

4 Likes

This is great news:

Abbott’s order, which was issued last week, was criticized by officials in some of Texas’ largest counties who were planning to set up multiple drop off locations in order to make it easier to return mail ballots. Harris County, a 1,777-square-mile region that’s home to Houston and is the country’s third largest county, had established 11 drop off locations before the governor issued his order.

In a previous court filing, the Harris County Clerk noted that the lone drop off site “could be more than fifty miles away” for some voters. Some activists also raised concerns that the reduced locations could disproportionately affect low-income voters and voters of color.

While Pitman acknowledged his ruling may lead to more confusion, he said Abbott’s order already confused voters who may have gone to a site they expected to be open but was instead closed. He said opening those sites back up would make it easier to vote.

“To the extent that this Court’s injunction to reinstate the ballot return centers does potentially cause confusion, the Court is satisfied that it would be minimal and outweighed by the increase in voting access,” Pitman wrote. The judge’s ruling could be appealed to the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.

10 Likes

Can I just say, this was a balm to watch. Not so much for the contents, which are fairly well known to all of us here, but for the way it was presented. I didn’t know American news channels still did normally paced, non-hysterical reporting like this. It almost felt like what I am used to from Europe, or what little I have seen from the time period in American newscasting that they reference at the beginning of the piece!

On another note: did the NYT correspondent have wall art of the Windows green meadow splash screen? Amazing.

5 Likes

CBS Sunday Morning is like that, always has been, and it’s been around since 1979. Sort of the Lake Woebegone Days of news shows.

9 Likes

That’s the reason my family has watched that show since it started. We used to enjoy it together, and now we watch it independently and compare notes when we talk on the phone. Since CBS is the most conservative of the first major broadcast networks, it also gives me some of that viewpoint without having to look at anything on Fox.

11 Likes

As I recall, they had a regular closing piece that was just a quiet scene from nature somewhere in the U.S. – no narration, no music. The hosts also tended to be more level-headed journalists (as opposed to newsreaders) who still remembered the Murrow tradition of CBS news: Charles Kuralt and Charles Osgood (I’m not sure who’s been hosting the show since).

10 Likes

Jane Pauley for some time now.

4 Likes

There establishment Dems go again, unnecesarily conceding defeat.

They should STILL be pounding podiums with the messages that Clinton won the popular vote by 3 million. And that Biden will lose many votes because of “chicanery.”

(And I’m all for revival of lovely words from the 19th century like chicanery, but I’m not sure it helps with attracting the youths.)

7 Likes

That’s a bunch of malarkey?

9 Likes

Agreed, horrible message. Biden should be focusing on getting out the vote as if he’s the underdog.

Meanwhile, in Texas… that order is currently stayed by the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. So, one drop off location per county. Complete nonsense.

8 Likes

Well, it certainly ain’t no hootenanny.

10 Likes

I’m with Larry on this one. If someone is undecided at this point, why even take anything they say seriously.

12 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

Grrr.5th circuit emergency stay to block the additional drop boxes.

A quote I liked:
Texas Democratic Party Chair Gilberto Hinojosa said, via a spokesman, “It’s no surprise that Republicans would use the courts to muffle the voice of the rising Texas electorate. This is who they are and who they’ve always been. The only way to stop voter suppression is to come out in record numbers and vote for Democrats up and down the ballot. We’re not only in a fight to save our state, but to save our entire democracy.”

15 Likes