2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

8 Likes
4 Likes

I see in recent polls at projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primaries/democratic/national

• Biden is always first
  • Harris is always third
  • Buttigieg is always fifth
  • Sanders and Warren are trading places between No. 2 and No. 4 depending on the poll

:thinking:

5 Likes

And let’s not forget the Democratic candidate who at that time was actively organizing against marriage equality…

1 Like

The NBC poll from yesterday has it:

3 Likes

9 Likes
5 Likes

Hopefully he’ll give it to a candidate who stands a chance

2 Likes

So, if you don’t like dictators, Biden’s speech opposing them should appeal to you…unless of course you don’t believe him…

The good thing about political promises is that it puts some pressure on the victor to at least not be too obvious when they break them.

Biden’s foreign policy would probably be indistinguishable from Obama’s. As bad as that was, it is far better than what we’ve got now, with a rabid president who only respects strongmen.

Biden’s speech yesterday seems to have had some unexpected appeal:

3 Likes

Relevant to election season:

6 Likes
3 Likes

http://www.tinyrevolution.com/mt/archives/001705.html

5 Likes

Certainly seems to apply to Pelosi.

2 Likes

With respect to the admirable Walter Karp, while there were certainly members of the (former) Democratic establishment who wanted to sabotage McGovern’s chances, they were aberrations. John Connally had a vanity project, Democrats for Nixon, which claimed a large following but really was just a few spoiled children. Likewise the Chicago machine was an explicit ‘victim’ of the post-1968 changes, so I can well believe that a ward heeler (as quoted) would have vindictive tendencies.

We have to keep reminding ourselves that people like Connally (in 72) and, say, Rahm Emanuel (today) are not the Democratic establishment; they are self-important blowhards trying to pretend that the system hasn’t moved on and left them behind.

1 Like
7 Likes

Biden: ‘No, of course not. I’m not trying to use my good pal & buddy Barack’s popularity to help bring in the vote. What gave you that idea?’

Also Biden:

7 Likes

Things continue to go well over in Bidenville…

Sensing the vast popularity of his stance on health care (/s), he’s now resorting to scare tactics.

7 Likes

Awkward! Bernie tells Bezos-sponsored event he’d break up Amazon and other tech titans

5 Likes

Some data to ponder:

2 Likes

The other 2 are Objectivists…

[ETA] I also find it interesting that there are no history majors listed…

5 Likes