2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

intimidated

Biden has a funny way of pronouncing “emboldened”.

7 Likes

I will absolutely “vote blue no matter who” but Biden, yeeesh. Does he even hear himself? He knows we can hear this also, right?

9 Likes

So glad I at least live in a state where there’s no pressure to do that, so I can easily vote my conscience instead.

1 Like

Yeah, VA is close enough I don’t think I have that option. Any of these guys would be a huge step up from Il Douche, but wow, we could do so much better.

9 Likes

Why does “urban” mean “people of color”? It was briefly used that way in the 80s and 90s, but I thought that euphemism had played out by now. I still interpret it as actually meaning urban. As in, a mixed bag consisting of all races, ethnicities, educational backgrounds, etc.

6 Likes

while i thought that’s what the poll was saying, too… the top graphic is only slicing results into white/non-white and urban/rural. not sure why.

the latter results ( for different questions, granted ) have more detailed breakdown for different groups

3 Likes

Who said it does?

The PoC support for Sanders is implied by the observation that only 49% of his support comes from White people.

5 Likes

Not sure if you’re aware of this, but in US politics and culture, “urban” is still often a way to avoid saying “black.”

5 Likes

Yeah, I know.

In this case though, Sanders’ support is both urban and non-White.

It’s all pretty much as expected, really…so long as one didn’t fall for the corporate media propaganda bullshit.

Bernie has the working class support, which is much less White thanks to the race/class correlations in American society. Warren has the upper middle-class White professionals, Biden and Harris have the elderly suburbanites.

6 Likes

Focusing on that graphic from the Pew poll can be misleading. For example, it suggests that PoC prefer Sanders to Harris, but that’s not what the poll says. Here’s a more detailed graphic from the same poll:

5 Likes

In that particular poll I think “urban” does mean “city dweller” - my comment was referring more to the bit about white support vs PoC.

As to why the term “urban” also retained it’s role as synonym for PoC, I think it has to do more with the inertia of music industry classifications than with any Luntz-style douchebaggery.

2 Likes

I guess this is the appropriate thread in which to post this:

13 Likes
9 Likes

Oops, there goes her candidacy.

What da fuq, Murican prezdints don’t apologize for nothin!

9 Likes

“Look, I get it, he has terrible positions, but he’s also super electable based on completely nebulous and probably-extremely-biased metrics that nobody can quantify or qualify but are probably ‘is old, white, and male’, so suck it up, buttercup.”

What a rousing endorsement.

18 Likes
6 Likes

That’s the turf Biden has been staking out from the beginning. If he can actually sell his “electability” over the other opponents then he will get momentum. That Pew poll we’ve been discussing says that people who are or lean D consider electability the most important factor in choosing a candidate, way more than their ideology or stand any single issue:

As I articulated above it is a stupid-ass criterion for supporting a candidate, but it is one that people seem to use.

3 Likes

“look, i get it. even i don’t like him much, but i’m married to the man. can you imagine what it’s going to be like if he’s at home everyday? i mean really. it’s joe. help a sister out.”

[edit]

( apparently followed by a text from elizabeth warren. “don’t worry jill. i have a plan for that.” )

9 Likes

Good; it’s somewhat overdue.

11 Likes
7 Likes