2020 Election Thread (Part 2)

As a Michiganian, I approve this message.

11 Likes

Wait! You’re not a Michigander?

11 Likes

Nope. I am not a male goose. A silly goose, sometimes, yes… :crazy_face:

13 Likes
13 Likes

I guess that they didn’t look at the part where it spells out that a state can decide to award its EC votes, or they can have a vote for the electors. Once they’ve had a vote, they can’t decide that they don’t like it and change their minds. (The only way the state can step in after a vote is if the electors somehow massively fuck up and don’t produce a tally on time.) Any state that tried that would be facing huge court cases, and probably major future consequences.

What might happen is that two results from the state hit Congress, which has happened before, leaving one or both to be rejected.

Mind you, the point might be to cause so much chaos that the Presidential election goes to the House. Has anyone done the math on the new House yet, with those Blue Dog Dems missing?

6 Likes

That would be very bad for Biden of that happens. The D majority in the House wouldn’t help due to the ridiculous rules in place for this. Worse yet, the Senate picks the VP so you could feasibly end up with Biden as president and Pence as VP.

5 Likes

It would be Trump though, right?

1 Like

No, they can only pick from VP candidates.

5 Likes

Ah. Makes sense, thanks.

Hmm, there were a LOT of VPs on my ballot…

In such a scenario would the new VP be appointed by the current Senate or the Senate as decided after Georgia’s runoff elections in January?

6 Likes

It would be the incoming Congress. We could end with a 50/50 split in the Senate (best case right now) which means the VP position would stay vacant until a 51 vote majority could be reached.

If the incoming president gets inaugurated and there’s still no VP, I’m assuming that the president gets to nominate someone for Senate confirmation which is its own can of worms.

(I’m no Con Law expert, I’ve just spent entirely too much time lately reading the Constitution and worrying about worst case scenarios.)

8 Likes

That sure would put an extra crazy spin on the already-crazy Georgia Senate race.

6 Likes

Keeping in mind that if the House is deadlocked, their VP elect becomes the President.

5 Likes

And if both the House and Senate deadlock before inauguration then Pelosi becomes acting president. Basically I really hope to never have to see this kind of shit show play out in my lifetime.

6 Likes

Another baseless lawsuit thrown out.

Trump lead in Georgia down to 1,267 votes and shrinking.

The place that ends up flipping the state may be Clayton County, formerly represented by the late great congressman John Lewis.

Between that and the votes coming from John McCain’s Arizona I’m loving the idea of Trump being taken down by the vengeful spirits of the legislators he insulted in life.

19 Likes
10 Likes
12 Likes
17 Likes
12 Likes
15 Likes