2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

have been watching the townhall and biden had me laughing out loud when he said – not for the first time – that we need to train cops better… instead of shooting to kill, they need to shoot people in the leg.

but his answer about what he would do if he lost was excellent enough that i almost don’t mind having to vote for him.

6 Likes

Candidate Popularity, 2016 v. 2020

9 Likes

Thing is, he picked up 27 votes in Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Carolina with that line…

4 Likes

The horse race must be tightened by any means necessary.

13 Likes

What utter shit from POLITICO.

“Hitler calls for the extermination of non-Aryans; Thalman won’t commit to keeping trains running on time.”

19 Likes
20 Likes

Yeah, I saw that too but had a different reaction than laughing. Since it wasn’t just a one-off comment I fear it reveals a deep misunderstanding of the term “de-escalation” and its goals, as well as showing that he believes that cops have far better aim than available evidence supports.

I hope that he has some good people on his team who can help set him straight on this.

10 Likes

If they haven’t already…

5 Likes

yeah, totally. i am sometimes so gobsmacked by things people say that my reaction is to laugh. my other option was to cry.

it is astounding that a candidate’s solution to police shooting so many black men and women is for police to just aim a little lower.

aiming low kind of sums up biden’s whole platform.

10 Likes
12 Likes

If only they’d raked the leaves… /s

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

13 Likes

The only thing that would have changed Trump’s mind so that he didn’t punish California; would be if we didn’t have an electoral college.

Maybe this will cheer you a bit:

15 Likes

At the end of Trump’s town hall, the NBC News YouTube channel showed 153,660 viewers were watching. ABC News’s YouTube channel showed 507,445 viewers at the end of Biden’s town hall.

Newsweek reached out to YouTube and the Biden campaign for comment.

Trump’s obsession with ratings dates back to his days as the star of reality television show The Apprentice . Trump frequently bragged about the ratings of the show during his tenure and trashed his successor when the audience declined. As president he could not stomach reports that his inauguration had drawn smaller crowds than President Barack Obama’s and dispatched his spokesman to contest them. And during the pandemic he would talk up the ratings of his daily coronavirus briefings even as the economy collapsed and tens of thousands of Americans died.

In August, when reported television ratings showed that the Democratic National Convention had garnered more viewership than the Republican National Convention, Trump said the ratings were incorrect.

According to Nielsen ratings, the Democratic National Convention averaged 21.6 million viewers over four nights while the Republican National Convention average 19.4 million viewers over four nights.

14 Likes
16 Likes

The fact that people like Trump less the more they hear from him is only news to Frank Luntz.

11 Likes

https://advanced-television.com/2020/10/16/data-biden-pips-trump-in-town-hall-tv-ratings/

Data: Biden pips Trump in town hall TV ratings

US President Donald Trump and former vice president Joe Biden participated in ‘town halls’ in the US on NBC and ABC, respectively, on October 15th.

According to analysis by Samba TV, a content recommendation engine and viewer tracking application designed for Smart TVs, 6.3 million US households tuned into Trump’s town hall, a 209 per cent increase from the previous town hall, while Biden had 6.9 million US households tune in, up 291 per cent.

12 Likes

Have a feeling this won’t be the last of such claims.

15 Likes
14 Likes
11 Likes

the more Trump speaks, the worse he looks.

17 Likes