2020 Election Thread (formerly: 2020 Presidential Candidates Thread) (Part 1)

“hatch plans”? :thinking:

9 Likes

I mean…

21 Likes

Sounds just as horrible as taco trucks on every corner. What else? Free pony rides? The comfy chair?

19 Likes

Let’s say that the election hinges on Pennsylvania and Biden wins it clearly but the the Pennsylvania statehouse decides to send different electors and it goes to the Supreme Court. It seems clear that Barrett and Thomas would vote for Trump and Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan would vote for Biden. What do you think the rest of them would do?

I feel like Roberts would be on the Biden side. I’m pretty sure Alito would be on the Trump side. Trump’s appointees Kavanaugh and Gorsuch on the other hand don’t seem all that obvious to me. I’m guessing both of them would like to be outside of the taint of having been nominated by Trump and they might think that deciding for Biden would help avoid the court being packed against them. Is there any reason at all to be hopeful? I guess that is what I’m asking.

2 Likes

Just my opinion:

Thomas and Alito vote together almost 100%. Kavanaugh rules for Turmp (buuurrrp!)

Roberts won’t be used to destroy democracy, and similarly Gorsuch won’t be used as an end-around against established law. So it would go 5-3 (5-4, if Barrett gets confirmed) against Turmp.

8 Likes

Roberts’ main concern is corporations and their shareholders. Since the markets don’t like uncertainty he’ll rule in favour of Biden (as will Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan for more idealistic reasons). Alito will continue his enthrallment to Scalia by joining with Barrett (assuming she’s confirmed) in supporting Il Douche. Thomas can be counted on to always do the wrong thing, of course. Kavanaugh will, unfortunately, side with Biff. If theres’s a wild card here it’s Gorsuch, but I think in the end he’d take Biden’s side.

8 Likes

10 Likes

Okay, that’s going to annoy me, because that’s clearly not a still from Cake or Death, it’s squirrel who’s left the gas on:

6 Likes

i thought the same thing, and said to myself… just go with it.

“eddie izzard, or no eddie izzard?”

that was my dilemma in a nutshell

8 Likes

Quick- feed it to the squirrel.

8 Likes

Wait, are we feeding the squirrel a nutshell, cake, or death?

7 Likes

Except the PA leg d/c’ed any efforts to do anything like that two weeks ago - and the Dem Governor would never sign a bill allowing it.

7 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. I guess I’m still expecting something to go to the supreme court. It will probably be about something dumb like, you aren’t allowed to keep counting votes after midnight or something.

2 Likes

Just drove to the LA County Registrars/County Clerk’s Office in Norwalk to drop off my ballot. It was bustling with activity. There are many people there to either vote or register! (Last day to register in CA.)

8 Likes

14 Likes

I’m no Adele Astaire, but I think the poster is very generous to call that “dancing.” :wink:

4 Likes
4 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes
10 Likes