2022 Midterms

37 Likes

6:20pm here and it’s raining. It’s been raining off and on all afternoon, now pretty heavily. It’s cold, it’s dark. Hoping the weather doesn’t keep people away from the polls. We need the rain so badly, but oh if it could only have waited until 8pm.

In other news, the emails asking for campaign donations just keep on coming. Probably others here are experiencing that too.

10 Likes

It been raining all day down here in San Diego, too. Sideways rain coming at you on strong wind gusts, so I left the electric bicycle at home and caught a minivan taxi up to the border. The polling place was the San Ysidro Branch Library, and it was rather quiet when I got there about noon. The poll worker was kind and I dropped off my ballot without a hitch.

Long before I got home, I was soaked through and through…BUT I VOTED, GODDAMMIT!

27 Likes

Oh ffs, our secretary of state has to respond to what’s his name stirring up crap in our state.

29 Likes

I :heart: our Secretary of State.

17 Likes

Is there a German word for the insomnia caused by fear of going to sleep and waking up to bad election news? #USElections2022

19 Likes

I know, I got a late call for some work in the morning, gotta be up at 4:30am. So it’s go to bed and forget about it or stay up and work half a sleep.

4 Likes

IL Governor Pritzker (D) has already been called by the AP with 0% counted and only three minutes after the polls closed. That was quick.

His competition Darren Bailey (R) is a noted anti-semite and staunch anti-choice, and his main platform was “Chicago is scary and run by a black lesbian!”

17 Likes

How on earth do they calls these already?

4 Likes

My Detroit polling place was calm, and as usual, smoothly run. (Our volunteers are fantastic!) I didn’t see anyone I could identify as a poll watcher. It looked pretty busy, though I went later in the day than I normally do, which could have been part of that.

20221108_200414 i voted sticker

I know, right? :smiley: My last SoS visit was incredibly smooth and efficient, better than any other I can recall. And I love the way she stands up to Trump. I was so happy to give her my vote.

21 Likes

Any Georgians want to listen to local returns, here’s the ATL public radio station…

6 Likes

Seems to be looking okay for Warnock so far. Fingers crossed

11 Likes

And for Abrams?

Best Wishes Reaction GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

9 Likes

And @milliefink - keep in mind that these early returns are largely from early voters, which is more heavily used in the metro counties that are more democratic.

But yeah…

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

12 Likes

ETA: Well, shit, I guess this is why you don’t get too excited about early results.

13 Likes

Walker has pulled ahead in Georgia, but there are still a lot of votes to be counted in Fulton and Gwinnett Counties. With a third party candidate at nearly 2%, the state may be headed for a runoff.

3 Likes

Decades ago, when everybody voted on the same day in the same way, “results” were “called” by the media based on “exit polls”

These days? WTFK

5 Likes

It’s neck-and-neck in Pennsylvania, but a lot of the votes still to be counted seem to be in the Philly area.

4 Likes

Moore was one of the few on the left who correctly predicted the rise of the Cheeto early on, so lets hope he’s right this time.
Still my gut is knotted for my stateside friends.

11 Likes

Sorry to pee in your hope cup, but to me it’s looking pretty much like Moore was wrong and the pollsters who saw at least a mild red wave coming right.

I think Dems might hold the Senate.

8 Likes