2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

19 Likes

Certainly makes me feel less sympathetic for the ‘poor conscripts’ sent to the front-lines.
Russian rhetoric calling the Ukrainians nazis and stating that Ukraine is to be de-nazified indicated that one goal of the invasion would likely be to kill civilians and erase their homes and history.

14 Likes
14 Likes

And it also promoted and made easier the kind of behavior that we are seeing. In the exact same way that the Nazi anti-Jewish propaganda made it easier for German soldiers to become willing executioners of Hitler’s extermination plan. When you vilify and dehumanize your victims, you make it easier for your forces to put aside their scruples and behave like this.

19 Likes

More on this:

18 Likes

You have a talent for understatement.

9 Likes

Yup.

12 Likes

some with hands tied behind their backs, their bodies scattered in the streets of the city

Some of them mined or booby-trapped according to some reports.

9 Likes

The British vehicles are attractively priced, roughly half the cost of their equivalent makes on mainland Europe,

And yet the price of second-hand cars has ballooned here recently. The pandemic chip shortage meant not enough new cars available and so many paid over the odds for ‘nearly new’ vehicles and it cascaded all the way down the market. So I’m slightly surprised they are still much cheaper than in mainland Europe.

And later in the article is perhaps a partial explanation (my bold):

the British cars are bought from both second-hand dealerships and individuals in the UK who will offer them for a cut price, sometimes accepting cryptocurrency as payment,

7 Likes
17 Likes

That right there is a sci-fi movie script

23 Likes

Obviously, Nazis will resist; and those resisting are Nazis.

Yep. Pretty much the reasoning many if not all wars.

One might remember the line in Full Metal Jacket, “If they run, they are VC. If they don’t run they are well trained VC.”

15 Likes

We need to get in our time machines and go back and protest harder

11 Likes

Well, the Milo Minderbinders of the world always find a way…

9 Likes

A poem by Timothy Snyder about Ukraine after Bucha

The lying and the truth

The lying

that there is no Ukraine

that there is no nation

that there is no state

The war to make the lies true

The lying about the war

The shelling of Kyiv

The shelling of Kharkiv

The shelling of Chernihiv

The old beautiful cities

The shelling everywhere

The bombing everywhere

The ghastly siege of Mariupol

The attacks on refugees from Mariupol

The bombing of children in Mariupol

The lying about Mariupol

The attacks on refugees from everywhere

The reporters

The truth of seeing

The abducted

The deported

The millions in flight

The schools Those bombed schools

The hospitals Those bombed hospitals

The archives burned

The lying about the schools and the hospitals

The lying on Russian television

The lying at Russian funerals

The lying about death that enables

The killing for a lie

The future lying enabled by the burning of records about the past

The truth under everything

The rubble, the bodies

The volunteers

The truth of solidarity

The mass murder at Irpin, the bodies under tanks

The mass murder at Bucha, the hands behind backs

The mass murder at Trostyanets, the desecration of corpses

The cities, the towns, the villages, the countryside

The murders everywhere

The truth

23 Likes

Only among the 18-24 age group is “alarm, fear, terror” narrowly more common than “pride in Russia” (37% vs 31%), and basically nobody is ashamed.

At the start of the war I assumed that Russian propaganda had not done enough to prepare the population for it, and I hoped that Russians would be outraged if only they had true information about what was going on. But now even Russian media is showing pictures of the destruction - framed and spun with lying intent, obviously, but the scale of the war is out in the open, and there should be enough details to piece together some impression of the truth. It turns out this is not enough to turn public opinion - there was enough propaganda after all, and this is not just Putin’s war, but all of Russia’s. It does not bode well.

20 Likes

I listened to some military commentary two weeks ago. The gist: Ukraine could not have kept its nuclear arsenal even if it would have wanted to when the CSSR disassembled. To expensive to maintain, outdated, in some parts so much that it was more of a threat than an aggressive defense. Also, remember that Ukraine had a massive nuclear crisis already.

Hell, apparently they weren’t even in the position to adequately guard the nuclear arsenal.

12 Likes
17 Likes

Going by her past experiences, i’m surprised that she didn’t suggest nail pulling

7 Likes
16 Likes