2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Flight trackers show a lot of activity towards Istanbul as well.

They also show some serious US SIGINT activity in Romania but that was to be expected

ETA: right now it also shows a Russian IL76 out of Brno headed to Moscow. I wonder what’s up with that. Shouldn’t be flying in EU airspace

(Volga-Dnepr Airlines VI5969)

16 Likes

I keep hoping WZHF will do the same.

The NAB came out against them.

10 Likes

https://kyivindependent.com/national/kyiv-under-shelling-first-thing-i-heard-was-scream-of-my-child/

11 Likes
14 Likes
14 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

That channel puzzles me… when I commuted and flipped through the channels, I noted that it was picked up by this smaller station in KC where you can basically pay to play what ever you want. So someone was paying to broadcast Sputnik. But oddly, it was mostly left wing bent… though still very populist.

3 Likes

Thread:

17 Likes

Fuck

27 Likes

Well…fuck!

17 Likes

Fuck, that’s really bad. Fuckfuckfuck.

19 Likes

Really really really fucking bad

21 Likes

Putin drops a nuke without dropping a Nuke.

23 Likes
18 Likes

I don’t want to “like” that, but itwould render a big chunk 9f the country uninhabitable, and be a nice bookend for the Chernobyl site.

17 Likes

Reminds me of Sarajevo in the '90’s

11 Likes

They want Germans to be reminded of the dangers of nuclear power, so they’ll continue to buy Russian gas. That’s six dimensional thinking.

12 Likes

Live feed. I saw tracers firing into the buildings earlier.

5 Likes

Guardian liveblog:

The Guardian’s Julian Borger has spoken to Mariana Budjeryn, an Ukrainian expert at the project on managing the atom at Harvard University’s Belfer Center.

Budjeryn said:

Saying that a reactor building is hit doesn’t tell us much, because the most vulnerable [part of] this is the electricity and water supply.

If the electricity is taken out, the back up generators kick in, but if those don’t kick in or their diesel fuel is set on fire, for example, the pumps can’t pump cold water into the reactor and into the spent fuel pools. That’s necessary to keep the nuclear reaction moderated. Otherwise the water will boil out and the core will go critical and explode.

If the core explodes, there’s hope that the confinement chamber will capture the radiation from release into the environment. Confinement chambers are designed with withstand some level of impact even bombing.

But of course we don’t know how they will stand to this intensity of shelling

BUT spent fuel pools - the fuel there is not as active, but they are usually overstuffed - so less active but more tightly packed material, also dangerous for going critical if the cooling system fails. And spent fuel pools are not covered by hardened concrete confinement chambers.

We learned about how vulnerable spent fuel pools are during Fukushima

The backup generators failed and the water pumping system failed - it was lucky that ocean water flooded those and the reactor cores to provide cooling.”

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-9-iaea-director-general-statement-on-the-situation-in-ukraine

14 Likes