2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Well, you know how it is. When you really need to go you’re a Russian, but once you make it to the bathroom, European

18 Likes

Ukraine calls into question the ENTIRE rationale for Russia’s special military operation.

15 Likes

I sincerely doubt that the point is to allow the refugees to run loose.

8 Likes

Now that you mention it, I suppose it would be a refugee camp rather than just sheltering with local families or what have you. Also, there’s a possibility of being totally isolated from news and communication with the outside world once there.

11 Likes

I see something more akin to a concentration camp/POW camp. A cold tent city with pits for shit. That sort of thing.

10 Likes
12 Likes

FB_IMG_1646676194035

35 Likes

Nice painting.

I wonder if the capture of the AK-12 signifies engagement and defeat of Spetsnaz or some other unit with more training the average conscript. It has been a mixed bag of old and new gear seen in the invasion, so one would think the newer weapons would be given to the better trained units. And if so, that the Ukrainian army is holding their own against them. Hopefully.

5 Likes

Mostly it sucks.

3 Likes

If the Russian Embassy has already blocked you, the tweet says:

FM #Lavrov: The goal of Russia’s special military operation is to stop any war that could take place on Ukrainian territory or that could start from there.

19 Likes

Always.

12 Likes

Never interrupt your [ally] when he is making a mistake.

25 Likes

The ROC has been, more or less, an arm of the State since Peter the Great. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but it has rarely opposed the rulers no matter what they do and say.

8 Likes

it scans about right though, the poor know they’ll be the ones who end up being shoved into the mouth of moloch while the rich know they’ll be the ones doing the shoving.

14 Likes

The New York times has a story about Ukrainians becoming rather more hostile towards the Russian people.

8 Likes

Well, if a wider war breaks out, it’ll likely by a Russian attack on a NATO country. So it’ll be not a question of “should the US get involved” but “should the US honor treaty obligations.”

9 Likes

The answer to that is: yes.

But I suspect Putin will keep it in Ukraine (or other non-NATO countries.)

5 Likes
9 Likes

This post reminds me - maybe someone who understands European passports can explain:

So in that article, and seen on Twitter, is an image of Ukrainian flag patches from soldiers arranged into a Z, along with stacks of passports. Most are green and I assume Ukrainian. 3 or 4 of them were red, with one of them clearly saying CCCP on it.

So my question is: why would someone still have a CCCP passport? Do European passports not expire? Or even if expired, people still use them as ID?

IIRC my exMiL is Polish, but has a Belarusian passport, as I guess where she was born is technically Belarus now. I haven’t seen her in a long while to ask why she still has it - but I suspect it is for similar reasons why a Ukrainian has a CCCP one.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about other passports, but Polish passports do expire (in something like 10 years I think).

5 Likes