2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

That’s a topic for another thread. One of these days, I’ll post a series of YouTube videos detailing how I became Japanese or something.

11 Likes

Today’s issue of the Garbage Day newsletter. Today is a look at what might be keeping the Russian disinfo army busy (spoiler, they are currently occupied with domestic disinfo!). A look at what is going on in Russian social media and the growing “Z” movement there. Also a look at Ukrainian Travel vloggers whose feeds have turned to documenting the destruction the war has brought to Ukraine.

Also some general internet nonsense.

6 Likes

I have no idea if that’s real…

14 Likes

“After seven days sleeping in a Kyiv metro station, we decided to get out,” Marina Pavlova said, explaining that her 13-year-old son, Matvey, had medical issues. She added: “We are Russian speakers. We don’t need Putin to ‘save us’. We have friends like us from Kharkiv. They have vowed to only speak Ukrainian from now on because of what he has done.”

The tourist cafes are behind barricades. The grand opera house is surrounded by a wall of sandbags. Tank traps block the approaches to the legendary Potemkin steps. Nobody in Odesa can quite believe that Vladimir Putin would launch an assault on this city, a place bound to Russia by family, literary and cultural ties, a place of almost mythical resonance for many Russians.

But then, Putin’s armed forces have done lots of things in recent days that seemed unthinkable just two weeks ago.

16 Likes
14 Likes
12 Likes

„ “the involvement of these states in an armed conflict.”

Don’t they mean “special operation”?

Hey, how about if we help Russia in Ukraine? Like offering “We will totally send in troops into all the territory you don’t control yet, then bring in UN-approved inspectors and help Ukraine people with de-nazification, I think we still have the protocols from back when we did that in Germany.”

14 Likes
14 Likes

37 posts were split to a new topic: Liquid gold

On Monday, following reports of the combat death of Russian General-major Vitaly Gerasimov near Kharkiv, Ukraine, Christo Grozev, the executive director of investigative journalism and intelligence group Bellingcat, reported that Russian forces relaying the news back to their superiors were forced to use an insecure phone line with a local sim card — that was promptly intercepted.

According to Grozev, Russian forces had no choice but to use the insecure line because Era — the highly secure cryptophone system implemented last year by the Russian Ministry of Defense which is supposedly guaranteed to work “in all conditions” — is down. And the reason the system is down is that Russian forces on the front destroyed all of the nearby 3G and 4G cell towers required for the system to establish a connection.

22 Likes

They seem to have put themselves in a vicious circle.

1. Without reliable secure communications a commander has to go to the front to sort things out personally.

2. Ukrainian forces kill him, perhaps after tracking him via an insecure phone.

3. An officer has to resort to an insecure phone to report his death.

On top of that, if the Russians hadn’t hobbled themselves by destroying cell towers the Ukrainians would be able to track Russian movements by monitoring Era activity even if they couldn’t decrypt the content.

14 Likes

In another dream I thought that last page was the “shoot on sight if spotted” instruction page.

4 Likes
12 Likes

Russians nationalists are not the only irredentists. Watch you back, Putin! /s

11 Likes

For what’s it worth: The Public Prosecutor General at the Federal Court of Justice (Germany) started an investigation concerning possible war crimes in Ukraine. Y’know, in case of there being a case.

Völkerstrafgesetzbuch - Wikipedia

11 Likes
12 Likes

You know that the propaganda side of things for the russians are getting bad for them when even Fox News is willing to run the really ugly stories now

20 Likes
9 Likes

Excellent timing, I guess. Putin is not really in a position to open a second front.

12 Likes

Good article. Save yourself the angst and skip the comments section. Furrfu.

10 Likes