2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Thread:

19 Likes

If that’s true it’s one of the few laugh-out-loud moments I’ve gotten out of this horrific situation.

In contrast…

The first of the little Quislings and Petains and Lams to emerge from the woodwork in Ukraine. Repulsive.

14 Likes
14 Likes

I only know what I read - and that they like no to this;

3 Likes

I can’t see that because I haven’t got a Facebook account. The onebox says “Log into Facebook”.

15 Likes

The grand plan for the Novorossiya (New Russia) Republic. That’s an ugly flag right there, stars or no stars.

Putin doesn’t look so confident and cool anymore. Being kicked in the butt repeatedly can make sitting quite uncomfortable.

The demonstrations in cities occupied by Russian Forces continue.

17 Likes

I don’t have one either. But I could see it. Maybe it’s geo locked?

5 Likes

For me it also shows that Facebook account is necessary.

6 Likes

All those pretty colours but he doesn’t like the rainbow flag.

:transgender_flag::rainbow_flag: :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::brown_heart::black_heart:

19 Likes
14 Likes

Here’s what I see. I’m in the US. Pfabulous Philadelphia.

11 Likes

I get the “Log into Facebook” box, and I’m in Michigan and I have a FB account (for messaging family members.)

This is a weird glitch.

10 Likes

I really wish this story is true :rofl:

9 Likes
11 Likes

The Ukrainian Foreign Minister still asking for NATO countries to provide fighter planes to Ukraine. I support his request.

There is a historical precedent for such a transfer. In 1941, after The Soviet Union was attacked by Nazi Germany and before Germany declared war on the United States, the United States provided military supplies to the Soviet Union, first under “cash and carry” and then under “lend-lease”, including tanks and planes. US diplomats visited Moscow in September of 1941 to draft an agreement that promised 400 aircraft, 500 tanks, and 10,000 trucks per month, on top of other supplies.

This is what Stalin had to say about it in November of 1941:
“the three power conference in Moscow with the participation of Mr. Beaverbrook, the representative of Great Britain, and Mr. Harriman, representative of the United States of America, decided upon systematic assistance to our country with tanks and airplanes. As is well known we have already begun to receive tanks and airplanes on the basis of this decision."

When Hitler finally declared war on the United States in December of 1941, after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, he didn’t explicitly mention lend-lease as the reason for his decision in the formal declaration of war transmitted by his Washington ambassador, but the fact that the US was protecting their transport convoys in the Atlantic.

ETA: :transgender_flag::rainbow_flag: :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::brown_heart::black_heart:

7 Likes

tl;dl

This week’s show is about people fleeing the violence sparked by the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Now we turn to the refugee crisis said to be the fastest-growing displacement of people in Europe since World War II.

On the Media reporter Micah Loewinger brings us the story of a Twitch streamer named Pavel, who is known to his viewers as “Bobi.” He was live-streaming from a military base in eastern Ukraine when he felt the earth move from a Russian attack. His reaction was captured in a now-viral clip, in which he can be seen giving an emotional goodbye to his viewers as he flees to his family. Over the next four days, Bobi and his family were guided through the war zone by two of his most devoted fans.

He and his family are now raising money for their humanitarian work in a rural village in Ukraine.

This is a segment from our March 11th, program, The Escape .

10 Likes

Sweden reinforced the defense forces in Gotland earlier this year. A permanent military presence in the island was discontinued in 2005, but the military returned there after the Russian annexation of Crimea and has been reinforced recently.

The Finnish Åland islands, on the other hand, are supposed to be demilitarized and neutral according to international treaties, but the Finnish Border Guard maintains a presence there.

In any case, after what we have seen in Ukraine I am a lot less fearful of the capabilities of the Russian Armed Forces. The Russian airborne troops are more of a riot-suppression force than a conventional fighting force anyway. Any deployment of Russian forces into Gotland or Åland would be cut off from resupply and unable to maintain their hold on the islands for long.

16 Likes
10 Likes

Okay now i’m extremely worried about the russian people. If this is how much force he can exert onto his neighbors and how he put so much effort into building infrastructure intentionally built for keeping his own people down, just imagine what a angry & desperate Putin can do to his own people.

8 Likes
18 Likes