2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 1)

Ooh ooh ooh, how about using some of those properties for lgbtq youth centers like I suggested a few weeks ago.

20 Likes

The FT article was free when I linked it , but is now paywalled.

22 Likes

Somehow, I can’t see China acceding. And Putin must know that.
Signalling even more desperation?

8 Likes
22 Likes

I can only subscribe to so many news services, and FT is not among them.

6 Likes

https://archive.ph/2022.03.13-210644/https://www.ft.com/content/30850470-8c8c-4b53-aa39-01497064a7b7

Paste the URL at archive.md

It’s easy AF.

17 Likes

I am not subscribed to FT either. I could read the article earlier, but it’s now paywalled.

10 Likes
9 Likes

China is happy to stir the pot and watch the westerners fight. What’s in it for them if they help Russia? They’re too smart to expect any useful return on their investment.

12 Likes

So far, China says “new phone, who dis?”

If true, Russia must be seriously worried about losing a major part of their force bogged in Ukraine, and the supposed “good stuff” that they were holding back probably isn’t in proper working order.

23 Likes

The Clearview founder said his startup had more than 2 billion images from the Russian social media service VKontakte at its disposal, out of a database of over 10 billion photos total.

Trashy fashy vaporware.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Clearview%20AI

11 Likes

He probably just has pics of all the Russian girls on Chaturbate.

7 Likes

Methinks the clients are about to learn what statisticians have known for decades about false positives when looking for rare events - such as scanning millions of images to look for a handful of faces.

In that case, the vast vast vast majority are not the face you’re looking for. If you’re looking for 100 people, and scanning 100,000 unique faces, and the software is “98% accurate” (2% false positive rate), then the results will be:

• 2% of approx 100,000 faces = about 2000 false alarms.
  • 100 correct matches.

So about a (100 / 2000) = 5% chance of a match being correct.

(yes, the math is simplified, and when done correctly the answer is actually closer to 4.77%)

As you add more faces to scan, the numbers of false alarms goes up and up.

21 Likes

I get the maths here.

Genuine question: If I am looking to match a face, and I have 100,000 to search through manually to see if it is there or not, aren’t I still better off if, after the software has had a go, I now have only 2100 to go through manually?

Or have I just demonstrated how I don’t actually get it? :wink:

Not saying this is how it would be used in reality, of course - humans are too easily lulled into trusting software output and taking it at face value (pun intended) - so this is just a thought extrapolated from your example.

(Not intending to derail from topic of thread and hope this does not turn into that.)

5 Likes

I would suspect the Russians are getting help from the Chinese on this, who are world leaders in the art of Automated Facial Recognition of Dissidents.

And in neither China nor Russia is there going to be particularly much concern for false positives. Better that a thousand not-specifically-guilty people disappear into the Gulags than a single dangerous thoughtcriminal go free.

Besides, there is no such thing as false arrest in China (and increasingly in Russia). If you have been arrested, then you are guilty of something, even if it takes a while to figure out what you’re guilty of.

11 Likes

Another unedited video that was done for the upcoming Frontline episode.

4 Likes

Hmm, I’m not sure the Chinese would share that software capability, even with the Russians. But who knows, these days.

I find it interesting that Ukraine has the capacity at this time, to use the Clearview version.

4 Likes

So they scraped a honeypot?

The CYA disclaimer will be a great comfort to anyone shot at a checkpoint. It’s almost Turkerian.

Ton-That said Clearview should never be wielded as the sole source of identification and that he would not want the technology to be used in violation of the Geneva Conventions, which created legal standards for humanitarian treatment during war.

Clearview just has to say that Ukraine is using it, even if they aren’t.

8 Likes

Virginia police started using a facial recognition system after a temp ban by a previous Dem Gov. The new gQp Gov is all in with its use now. Not clear if it’s Clearview or not. Probably.

13 Likes

Yeah - I did wonder about the possibility of a scumbag company taking advantage for PR reasons, but surely nobody would be dumb enough to say something that could be denied with authority and leave them very embarrassed? Hmm, maybe not - some scumbags are really stupid. Certainly it has been offered, I think we can be sure of that. Whether the offer has both been taken up AND put into action - well, the Ukrainians have neither denied not confirmed.

4 Likes