2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

6 Likes
6 Likes

True enough. Tragic for him, certainly.

7 Likes
7 Likes

This article should serve as a warning to Americans. While the procedural details will differ, the general process will be similar here should the fascists take the White House in November. This is a gradual process, and the following should sound familiar:

For over a decade, the Kremlin was taking away civil liberties and feeding the population a revamped and increasingly more aggressive version of nationalism. For nearly a decade, most Russians didn’t seem to care.

[
]

There was no key turning point that struck a fatal blow to Russia’s civil society. Instead, there was a slow erosion of rights, says Dan Storyev, an editor at OVD-Info, a rights group that tracks political arrests and provides legal aid.

“The repressions didn’t start overnight. To create this kind of war machine that the Kremlin possesses right now, they needed to neuter civil society, they needed to repress the people, they needed to terrify everyone into submission,” says Storyev.

“You have this gradual, slow, deliberate restriction of civil liberty with the purpose of creating a highly militarized, highly repressed, highly autocratic state.”

This erosion often took the form of vaguely worded, piecemeal legislation.

10 Likes

Interesting, but their time scale is out by at least a decade or so. Democracy in the new Russia was a very short lived affair- It was strangled in its crib by Yeltsin and the oligarch mafia. When the Russian people opposed their looting of the remains of the USSR’s wealth by democratic means, they shut down democracy, ruled by decree and rigged the elections to keep them in power. Then they appointed Putin as the successor, and people are somehow surprised when he acts the same way.

10 Likes
5 Likes
  1. Putin
  2. Putin
  3. Putin
  4. Putin
  5. Anyone who might be in line to replace Putin
  6. Putin
8 Likes

[Parliament calls on the EU to give Ukraine whatever it needs to defeat Russia | News | European Parliament (europa.eu)]

8 Likes
7 Likes

Some very brave Russians

13 Likes

:clap:

15 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
6 Likes

I am currently under the impression that the WebEx leak is really important.

I have not yet thought this trough, but a hot take is that this is really damaging on the one hand, and really revealing how important Russia thinks the current situation is. Otherwise, they would have kept their ability to eavesdrop on that under the rag.

What’s really amazing is that this kind of conversation does take place in such a way. It’s as if the people involved haven’t understood that this is a serious situation.

ETA: oh. My. Glob

Have a go with deepl.com or another translator. Worth every click.

@FGD135 , I know you served. Do you think there is such a thing as a Neuland Alarm which could wake someone up ?

7 Likes