30 more life hacks debunked

Yeah, I’m guessing that I’m probably not the target audience for this stuff. Who wastes vodka by using it for sticker removal?

14 Likes

Ooo… that’s the very same clip I learned it from.

I enjoy the series, not because I care about any of the “life hacks,” but because it’s fun to watch John Green fumble on basic tasks like cutting an onion.

5 Likes

Life-hack-ception?

3 Likes

13 Likes

Any method for making butter will produce whipped cream first. Its part of the same process. You agitate the cream the fat molecules knit together, trapping air and give you a foam. Take it too far and the fat molecules give up on the air and collect up together giving you butter. The issue with making whipped cream in a jar/bottle is that its going to take significantly longer than doing it with a whisk, its going to be way less even, and it’ll be less controlled. So you’re more likely to end up with butter than with whipped cream. And if you do manage to stop at the whipped cream stage you’re probably gonna have some weepy whipped cream floating on top of some un-whipped liquid. We used to do this a lot as kids, to make butter. Any time we stopped early to see if we had whipped cream that whipped cream was pretty gross.

9 Likes

Under what circumstance is a half of an apple the desired outcome? I understand biting into a whole apple, eating slices on their own or with cheese or peanut butter, or cooking something with chunks of apple, but what purpose is served by having half an apple with the seeds still in place?

15 Likes

Once you discover that secret, it’ll change your life.

11 Likes

Well at $4 for 500ml for some vodkas well I wouldn’t want to drink that stuff. Good for stripping paint though. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Some apples are so big that I end up sharing them with someone. (But not by splitting them with my own hands. Not yet.)

2 Likes

#argumentum ad verecundiam?

1 Like

I don’t even peel my kiwis. They’re great that way. No wasted innards.

2 Likes

Fixed. Thanks.

3 Likes

He totally blew the egg test. It works, but not the way he did it. The hard-boiled egg should spin on its end. The raw egg creates turbulence inside with the liquid spinning slower than the shell, creating friction, and also never accelerating to the same speed as the shell with the initial spin. Many of these are stupid, like the watermelon, but others like the whipped cream he tests in the stupidest possible way.

6 Likes

Who needs a reason to own a bundt pan beyond…

#cakes

I mean, seriously? Hating cakes is like hating bacon. AND STORE-BOUGHT CAKES ARE LIKE PRE-COOKED BACON YOU TASTELESS HEATHENS.

7 Likes

The reason the chilled onion doesn’t make you cry is that the Cool Onion Air™ sinks below your cutting board. It still helps to work quickly. If you’re going to sit as close as he does and use a crappy knife, well, your results may vary.

1 Like

We have a silicone bundt cake mold pan thing. It’s nice since the cake comes out really easily. Not that I’d bother with the hack with a metal one. Removing corn from the cob is not something I’ve struggled with.

1 Like

A ‘lifehack’ is ‘one weird trick discovered by this one mom that they don’t want you to know about’. If it actually works then it’s a ‘useful tip’ and no longer a lifehack. Yes, I know it didn’t start out that way.

5 Likes

You’ll need the pan for your Bacon Bundt Cake.

1 Like

Bundt cakes are the best cakes.

1 Like