30 more life hacks debunked

I disagree for sheet cakes with fruits, they taste better when baked in a Serious Oven - a tool the bakery owns and I not.

7 Likes

Afternoon tea @renkeā€™s!

5 Likes

I donā€™t particularly like cake. And Iā€™m pretty ambivalent about bacon, to be honest.

3 Likes

Do you mean like grocery store? Is a proper bakery okay?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a lifehack that involves using your ovenā€™s clean mode. Youā€™ll need to disable the locking mechanism, though.

5 Likes

Since nobody ever calls it a store: yes.

1 Like

Yes, seriously, that part was a bit like the infomercials where someone fails in an utterly incompetent manner.

Edit: Iā€™m finally watching the whole of the original video (instead of the other one perviously linked here), so sorry for the late comments, but is this man the most incompetent man ever to be in front of a camera? I mean, I know heā€™s very smart in other ways, butā€¦

10 Likes

Also, does the onion thing go away the more you cut onions? Or some varieties are less tear-inducing than others?

I cook every day, have done so for 15 years, and I barely remember the last time an onion made me tear up. I probably cut five or six red or yellow onions a week.

Maybe itā€™s also because I use a very sharp knife.

1 Like

They actually confined this on Mythbusters.

John Green is awesome. Mental Floss is awesome. This series is awesome. For a good time watch all of the series of these life hack debunking videos.

mkay. Iā€™ll use a lifecheat and walk to the bakery instead :smiley:

3 Likes

The way he works, heā€™d give the ā€œhackā€ that heated water boils a FAIL.

1 Like

SSHHHH!!
Dont tell people about that, otherwise they may all start making great pizza!

3 Likes

They should be useful tips like how to prepare a guest for dinner with a few easy hacks.

12 Likes

The closed captions on this went a little bitā€¦ awry.

3 Likes

A side note, but Iā€™ve been watching Halt and Catch Fire, and I keep expecting Lee Pace to end up like American Psycho, but he keeps getting more sympathetic as the season plays out. But he was pretty much straight up the character from American Psycho in the first episode, without the murder.

3 Likes

The way I do the egg test is to see if the inside is spinning freely. You do that by spinning the egg, immediately stopping it, and then letting go just as fast. If it is uncooked, it will spin a little more as the fluid sloshing around inside keeps going. If itā€™s cooked, it will stay stopped.

7 Likes

John Green is a total klutz.
I like the show. Somewhat.

1 Like

Ooohhhh, plum cake. I didnā€™t think anyone outside our tiny little ethnic area knew about those.

2 Likes

Um, the egg one is true!

Also, this is no life hack, as professional chefs have been teaching young cooks this technique for differentiating cooked versus raw eggs FOREVER!

A cooked egg can be spun really fast, while an uncooked egg will spin slowly, because the yolk inside is moving too, acting as a counterweight, which slows the spinning. Basic high school physics.

This could clearly be seen in the video. He spun the white egg and it spun slowly. He spun the brown egg and it was spinning so fast, it began to walk across the table. The difference was so totally and completely obvious, that I donā€™t know how the presenter got it wrong and then concluded the life hack was false.

Kind ruins the credibility of the presenter and his debunking abilities.

PS. A large pizza box lid, 20"x20", and a box cutter/X-Acto knife/razor blade/sharp kitchen knife would make cutting four 10" serving plates not only doable, but quick and easy. So, that one shouldnā€™t have been debunked either.

4 Likes