32 helpful everyday tips

They say ‘flushable’, but they are still detrimental to your sewer/septic system and really should not be flushed.

2 Likes

You might need a microscope to find them. Maybe there’s just one?

“Pat”.

7 Likes

The salt on the beermat one actually works and I haven’t noticed any residue. you do have to repeat it at intervals though…

Why not just put the beer directly on the bar. The bartender always wipes down the bar surface the napkins are mostly for decorative purposes and to prevent dips on your clothes----which pros know the napkin goes AROUND the bottle in that case.

Anyway this list is something I’ve seen decade or more ago (Although they updated the remote control from “Video Camera” to “Cell phone”).

1 Like

Are there any bartenders here who can explain what beer gets advertised on your napkins and coasters and who pays whom?

They’re not decorative, They’re advertising.

1 Like

If you’re paying $1 for “service” on top of a $3 drink, I think you have a right to make a small mess.

THANK YOU.

also, ladies people who make large birthday reservations and come in early to decorate by pouring glitter and mylar sparkles everywhere: KINDLY FUCK OFF!

(them who put down a disposable tablecloth–sparkles or no–we love y’all)

4 Likes

To be fair, just because a product states that it is able to be flushed in no way implies that doing so is a particularly good idea.

A handful of gravel is “flushable” but I wouldn’t recommend it.

1 Like

@beschizza it would be nice if it didn’t skip all the short posts that don’t include pics or blockquotes, though, but apparently I’m the only one who notices

1 Like

If you back up the toilet at work or someones house with no plunger available, look for liquid hand soap. Dump some in the toilet and wait about five minutes and flush again.

Call me skeptical. Maybe it would work. I can see how it might. But I can also see it pointlessly forming a film on the top of the water.

If you gently rock back and forth while pooping it will take significantly less time and make it easier to pass more “troublesome” movements.

Perhaps. o_o Not sure I’m willing to risk it with my weight and rickety toilet.

If you don’t know if a baby is a boy or a girl ask the baby “Whats your name?” And the parent will answer.

No. Gender neutral names aplenty. [Insert Monty Python and the Meaning Of Life Meme about not assigning roles]

Avoid forgetting something in the morning by placing it in your shoes.

Ok, maybe. I just put it on the rail and if I didn’t have a rail I’d get a thrift store end table to set by the door: an end to things smelling like shoes!

(Disclaimer: This post was much longer but I trimmed out several points I didn’t care about enough. I suspect it’s still too long. Sorry.)

4 Likes

$3 drinks? Sign me up. I haven’t paid $3 here in Vancouver since I arrived 6 years ago.

2 Likes

One of the bars we went to had about 3 cases promotional Sam Adams tall style beer glasses.
They where giving them away and we got four of them. Why? Because they were cheaply made, and if they tried to use them in a bar setting most broke and they were tried of cleaning up the glass in dishwasher, the chiller and bar etc.

We still have two after a year that are still surviving.
Yeah, they’d get free napkins and coasters from beer companies; but there was no reason for a bartender to ‘push’ those. It just one of the many freebees a bar gets from it’s suppliers. Everything from signage and urinal mats to those cozy’s that hold ketchup, napkins, mustard,sugar, salt/pepper.

3 Likes

It’s not that I care too much what gender a child is, I’m usually just worried that the parent will freak out if I get it wrong. On the other hand, I suppose if you can’t tell someone’s gender from the clothes, hair, name, manner etc., it probably isn’t that big a deal if you make a mistake. I just wish we could have a gender neutral pronoun for a specific person (you could say ‘they’ or even ‘it’ for a hypothetical child or unspecified gender, but not one in front of you).

1 Like

Well, the trans* community has generated a few (as a trans* and specifically nonbinary person myself I can’t help hoping they catch on). And, despite what the annoyotrons would tell you, “they” is a perfectly acceptable and established singular gender neutral pronoun. :laughing:

All that said, I definitely feel your worries about parents freaking out if you get it wrong.

And if the parent says in a fake baby voice “I’m Chris!” (or similar unisex name)…

2 Likes

I was taught this wonderful trick years ago.

By a bartender.

Yes, I was feeling that a better version of that tip would be, “try remembering whether or not you’ve washed your hair, silly.”

But then, I’m a lot more “awake” in the mornings than many…

1 Like

It’s probably a bit like calling someone Ms. ____ used to be. While in principle it was just removing a distinguishing element that wasn’t really relevant in the first place, I guess some people felt that it signified that you were anti marriage or something. Most people are known by their first names now anyway, so that seems to have become a non-issue.

1 Like

The ones pictured even say, “Not flushable.”

1 Like